Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The Lagster

It never ceases to amaze me how students can find mutiple subject matter to discuss in class while completing group assignments that they're already behind in. Even when given reminders of how important it is to learn a tasks that piggybacks anothers task, they just don't seem to stay focused on the task at hand. This can become quite irritating.

Medical Assisting

Are we crippling are students by offering them too many opportunities to perform mediocre work in order to receive passing grades when personal hindrances beyond their control impact their lives.

Additional Resources

I always provide for my students additional resources on the subject matter that is being covered in class. It seems as though they get this additional information and never use it. How can I get them interested with the subject (graphic design) at hand and understand that they are going to always have to look at addition resources to possibly solve a problem.

Balance teaching to learning stylest

What is the best way to balance teaching to learning stylest so that all of the class is getting what they need.

MY PERSONALITY

I understand that not all students will like my personality. How do I keep the relationship professional and maintain a good teaching relationship when we don't really get along ?

Comfortably teaching behind the desk

What is your input about lecturing from behind a desk or podium?

Who are you and what did you do with our teacher?

I had to cover an instructor who called in sick. I never had her students before. When I walked into the class a student dropped her jaw. Just with their body language this large class communicated to me that I was not welcomed. Before they could pick up their jaws from the floor I immediately introduced my self. I gave a brief explanation about what happened to their teacher. I told them not to worry that they were in good hands. Please share any suggestions you might have for instructors who might come in the middle of the quarter to… >>>

The Magic of Guest Speakers (with the ability to hire Students)

During the month of December 2006, I continued a favorite academic / professional skill development practice. I received the permission of the Dean to have a Networking Event. This would incorporate my Management class, an English Composition Class and a Principles of Marketing class. I brought these classes together on a Saturday morning to allow an overlapping of real-life skills to occur in real-time. I asked the English Comp class to critique the resumes of the other classes. I asked the Principles of Marketing class to provide unusual methods to help the other classes market themselves to potential employers. I… >>>

THE DEVELOPMENT OF A POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT

Our students have an expectation for the classes in their chosen curriculum. They expect the newly-acquired information to be the stepping stone to success in their field. As they travel this academic journey, we have to create an environment that affords them the opportunity to free of the mental, social and familial chains. These chains have precluded them from being productive in the past. I promise the class that they will be in a cocoon free of the negative forces that haunt them daily. I share with them some of the obstacles that have been in my way, during the… >>>

Constructing a Learning Agreement with Students

Students expect a systematic approach to their learning of the main subjects in the course. One of the ways that I am receiving immediate feedback is the extension of a "Learning Agreement" with the individuals in the class. Initially, I called it a "Learning Contract", but our litigious society has put a negative connotation on the word, contract. I realized that using the word, agreement, indicates that both of us will be required to act in a very objective manner: pertaining to the course desired learning outcomes and practical applications to the real world. I provide a template to the… >>>

Participation versus Attendance

The First Day of Class One of the first items to cover in class is the criteria for the Participation Grade. A number of students believe that they have "participated" if they show up at some point in the class and occupy a seat. I give them a written outline of the parameters to acquire a score of 100 each day for Participation. It is up to them to earn the following points: 25 points - Arriving on time 25 points - Arriving prepared for class (reading, homework, etc.) 25 points - Active contribution to class activities, exercises and discussions… >>>

Lesson Plans

Does anyone have suggestions for pulling students away from dependence on PowerPoint slides? It seems like most of my students have come to rely on that form of visual. Thanks, Jennie

Maintaining Motivation during extended absences

The students in my graduate classes are deployable because of their job or their organization. This may mean that they are gone from class from one to four weeks. While there are makeup assignments due and we communicate electronically, it has been difficult to maintain motivation when they aren't physically part of the class. Any suggestions?

Bridging the gap

If you are having trouble bridging the gap between the front of the classroom and the students in their seats...what are some effective ways of constructing that bridge?

Response

The effectiveness of the eduational process is based on the result of how the teacher teaches and how the student learns. By acknowledging the learning style of each student, the instructor has the ability to deliver the material in a way that allows each student, regardless of learning style, to receive maximum understanding.

4 points

I appreciated the 4 points that were stressed in regards to what you want your students to walk away with after the first meeting. Those will help me greatly in my own teaching. Many of my professors did not make it obvious that they cared about our learning and it affected how we learned within the class.

Textbooks and their authors

I think that one of the most important things about a textbook is the authors approach as mentioned in the discussion. It can really make or break the direction of the class. But how do you know which author is going to be the most effective? Is it trial and error?

Drawing the line

Where do you draw the line of being a manager and being authoritative?

The Non-Test Test.

My classes consist of teaching students Product Design and the Fundamentals of Engineering Technology and most of the students come from a wide and varied background. I never liked taking tests myself so I try to assess my students by giving them design projects that show me the level of understanding and application of the material that they have acquired from the classroom. It also gives then the opportunity to add creativity to what they are doing by personalizing the product they design. So far this has worked well for me. I try to change the projects every so often… >>>

Classroom Assesments

Since I am fairly new to the teaching profession I can always utilize new information to improve what students are "receiving" from my teaching methods. I have used the minute paper idea in class and it seemed to work well. My students never feel shy about telling me when they are bored. lol. I struggle with limitations of the facilities because much of industry cant be experienced in the environment of a school setting. It would be great to be able to give my students exposure to more machinery and manufacturing practices. I do use dvds and videos to show… >>>