Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Motivation...something i wish more instructors i have seen would use

From my experiences as a trainer, i have seen many contract trainers just come in and teach and deliver a very BORING class. Boring as in just coming in and doing whats required as far as delivering course material. I guess for some instructors, they really dont care if the students are learning/enjoying what they are being taught, but it would drive me nuts to know that a student thought my classes were boring and i was uninspiring... My keys for motivation: 1. Encouragement: always keep your students postively reinforced. 2. Mentorship: make these students think "man, i wanna be… >>>

Read Read Read Arrrgggghhhh

Is it safe to say that as much as you stress to your students to read ahead to be prepared for the next class lecture...you're always gonna get some that don't? Besides "pop quizzes" on reading material...any other ideas to get students to read?

Setting Realistic Goals?

I am looking for suggestions on how best to determine if goals are realistic? We have to cover what seems to be enormous amount of material in a short period of time.

Wide range of learning experience and success?

In a vocational school I am responsible for the very first class and new student takes. Fortunately everyone in the course is interested in the subject matter. The challenge is this. There is such a wide range of learning compentency. I've got students that may have at least some college education and did very well. I have others that struggled to graduate from high school. 1) What are some good strategies to make sure all the students are appropriately challenged? 2) What are some strategies to help those students that have a strong interest in the subject but have never… >>>

Good stuff

Alot of this material were things i was told by my training mentors, whom never took these FAPSC courses. Its good to see i actually new this stuff beforehand :P

Mixing it up

At my school (technical/trade) we have to do a mixture of lecture and demonstration. I also add problem solving, power point, transparencies. My question to you all is this... when the students begin practicing their lab work with each other, I often loose control of them and they are talking, chit chatting and laughing. I know there is a balance there, because i want it to be an enjoyable experience for them, but I worrry it gets too casual of an environment? Any suggestions on how to control this without constantly saying "SShhh, you should all be working without much… >>>

Motivating to study

Hi - I work for a small trade school - we lecture and do hands on skills in my class. It is an accelerated program, so things move fast! I often have students comlaining becasue they aren't "given" all the information on the tests... although it is in their assigned chapters. I make study guides for my classes, that are quite thorough! Sometimes I get so frustrated becasue I feel they don't study the material... any suggestions on how to motivate them, help and not enable them to study the material? I find that those who aren't studying often don't… >>>

humor

The use of humor to put the students and instructor at ease is a time tested device. However, I often wonder if entertainment has compromised education though, looking out at the classroom, I see attentive students and can easily draw them into the discussion. Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

Lesson Plans

I have found that if I spend too much time working out every detail in a lesson plan my lectures come out very boring. For me it is best to write a quick list of ideas that need to be covered and then wing it. This method is more interesting for me and the students get a truly live show.

Student Names

I find reading a list of the student names a couple of times before you meet them helps to learn them quickly.

Classroom goals vs Industry goals

To complete our program a student works in a team to complete a large project. If the project is completed successfully and the student did their best and completed the basic requirements but you still feel they are not quite up the indusrty standard, how should they be graded? How should you handle requests for employment recommendations from such a student?

skills or skilled

How do you identify people who might have a natural capacity for learning a trade but do not appear at the first interview with a portfolio or other physical indication of their skills?

First Impression

If first impressions are so important, what do you do if you totally goof the first day? Is there any recovery?

Course or object?

Teaching in a trade school I am quite often faced with the dilemma of identifying what my final product should be, the fully trained student or a completed product, in this case a boat. I realize through careful planning I should be able to realize both objectives but two factors often make this difficult, the varied skill levels and needs of the students and the complexity of the varied designs on which we work. I have erred in the direction of providing an experience for the students but sometimes it is at the cost of the experience of completion. Any… >>>

Tests and Keys

Maybe many or most of you do this too, I will actually take the test that I'm to admister before I give it to the students. (they are premade tests that never change). Usually we have 5-7 tests in period of 5 weeks. I try very hard to do it well ahead of time as I'm preparing lectures. This really helps me to 1) find errors! 2) know what points really need to be highlighted for the students and 3) determine the level of difficulty. Then I check my answer ket with another instructors answer key. I have found when… >>>

Selection of proper media for new students in first class

Instructing a group with mixed learning styles

I teach a mixed group of students. I start off with a general information session and then attend to them throughout the day for more one on one because I'm not certain they are comprehending the morning lesson. I'm not sure of the best approach.

Absent students

I instruct for an accelerated program. So lots of information is coming at my students daily. We have a policy that it is up to the students to come to the instructor to find out missed assigments etc. Some do this diligently, others do not. I find myself wanting them to pass, so I often will just remind them of missing assignments, or late assignments. But, it is often more work for me, tracking students down to get their homework. Any suggestions? Sally

Test objectives vs. Real World Objectives

The computer courses I teach propose certain objectives that are important and reasonable; nevertheless, sometimes I feel that because emerging trends and new technologies, I add extra information that does not necessarily show up on the textbook, nor will it be part of a standardized certifications exam. Students welcome this information yet many times they realize that there is an overwhelming amount of new things they have to keep up with... How can I go about having the students learn certain material for an exam, and certain material to become familiar with for Real world objectives?

Instructor's Age

I have to admit I am a relatively young instructor (22) and usually my students never really gave this matter importance, nor had realized their instructor was half their age. In the last course I taught, the students figured out my age and it was an ackward situation... For some reason, I had the impression they were not taking me as seriously as in the first day of class. Can you provide me some advice to counter this situation?