Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Lagster

It never ceases to amaze me how students can find mutiple subject matter to discuss in class while completing group assignments that they're already behind in. Even when given reminders of how important it is to learn a tasks that piggybacks anothers task, they just don't seem to stay focused on the task at hand. This can become quite irritating.

Hi Sheronda,
You are right about keeping students on task when working in groups. I use a worksheet with expected outcomes for the worktime. I have found that this keeps them moving ahead, even when they wander off into other areas of discussion. They know they have to have the worksheet completed by the end of the time frame.
Gary

I have learned to write everything that is due that week on the board at the front of the room. The students are also informed that any work turned in late will get an automatic 20% reduction in grade. That way there are no questions. It seems to help things to move smoother.

Hi JoAnn,
Good plan. Keep it clear, keep it simple, and keep it real. By following this format you will reduce many of the headaches of class management.
Gary

Our testing is open book so it is in the students best interests to fill out all of their lab sheets. If they do not, it affects not only their lab grade, but their ability to pass is also compromised. These steps seem to motivate the students to do their work in a timely manner.

Sign In to comment