Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Magic of Guest Speakers (with the ability to hire Students)

During the month of December 2006, I continued a favorite academic / professional skill development practice. I received the permission of the Dean to have a Networking Event.

This would incorporate my Management class, an English Composition Class and a Principles of Marketing class. I brought these classes together on a Saturday morning to allow an overlapping of real-life skills to occur in real-time.

I asked the English Comp class to critique the resumes of the other classes.

I asked the Principles of Marketing class to provide unusual methods to help the other classes market themselves to potential employers.

I asked the Management class to provide a solid game plan and timetable to prospect and interview with a purpose over the next month.

All of these actions were occurring during a business breakfast in the banquet room of a Golden Corral. Ten or more professionals from the students' intended degree fields were represented there:

Criminal Justice
Information Technology
Electronics
Business Industry
Medical Assistance

These students had an opportunity to dine in a business setting with these professionals. The professionals had a refreshing moment to relate the real skills that would entitle the students to have consideration for a career and receive recognition in the workplace.

These students understood that all of the participants were executives, decision-makers, and / or owners of businesses looking for entry-level and career-changers.

The turnout was remarkable for a Saturday morning at 7:30 am - on both sides of the coin. Several appointments and interviews have transpired since then. As you can see, we were able to accomplish several tasks within that 3 hour time period.

I was very proud of the students' participation and humbled that my business associates and friends would take the time to lend their talents and viewpoints to the students!

Thank you

Hi Lewis,
What can I say but "WOW"! This is an adult version of Career Day and it sounds like it really worked. The Saturday time was most impressive. This means that both the students and the employers were serious. I commend you. I always enjoy activities such as this because they help to reinforce the message that I am trying to send to my students. Act professional, be professional and you will soon be a professional.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

This displays the truth about professionalism in and outside of the classroom. It's how and why we should act this way at all times.

at our educational trade school facility, we conduct several meat and greet activities annually. We invite prospective companies to the on campus facility for a casual Bar B Q (thus the (MEAT) in "MEAT AND GREET". the company represenatives visit with our students and our students visit with the company represenatives with the idea of possible employment upon completion of their training.

This is fascinating. I would most certainly share this view point with my Department Chair. A student is more comfortable interacting with another student. Thank you for a wonderful idea.

Hi Shiv,
Thank you for those kind words. Good to hear that you will now have an additional strategy you can use to help your students learn and progress in your classes.
Gary

Along these same lines, I asked and received permission from my director to host an information interview with a friend who works for a professional racing team via the telephone. Our IT guys installed a temporary phone line in my classroom and the students asked questions of our guest concerning racing, the car and driver, and jobs in racing. Our guest was "on the road" and he spoke from the truck carrying the race car. We had about 45 students (we invited the other class to join us) and for about an hour the students had a fantastic time. They listened, they learned, and the call was very informative. Later, when I saw my friend at the next race, he told me he had a great time and was impressed by the questions and comments the students had. He also said he told the driver about the call and we are trying to work out another call that the driver wants to be involved with. Our class is about high performance vehicles and racing and lends itself well to a call such as this one. However, this same concept could work for any vocation.

Hi Steve,
Great example of bringing the outside world into the classroom. I can only imagine how excited your students were at the conclusion of the "phone" presentation and interview. This experience gave them such a great picture of where their skills can take them if they so desire.
Great story and I know other participants will benefit from you sharing it.
Gary

I have used guest lectures in the clinical setting as well. There are times when students do not get exposed to aspects of our field while doing their clinical rotations. Just because the situation or opportunity did not present itself. Therefore, I have see the students benefit trememdously from haveing experts in a specific area give them a lecture/demonstration.

Sign In to comment