Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comfortably teaching behind the desk

What is your input about lecturing from behind a desk or podium?

Hi John,
Don't do it! I believe that this sends a number of signals to students.
1. You create a barrier between your students and yourself.
2. You are too tired to move about the class, so you may not have the energy to teach the class.
3. You have to claim the entire teaching area as your own, meaning classrom, lab, etc. By staying behind the desk or podium you have only claimed about 4 square feet. The students have claimed the rest. What does claiming mean. It means to the students that you are not going to enter their space and that they can do anything they want in the rest of the classroom/lab.
4. You can start class behind the desk or podium, where your gradebook or notes are and then move away from either one.
5. If you are not secure being away from your desk/podium due to being a new instructor and/or have a case of the nerves, move to the left or right of the podium leaving one hand still attached to the podium. This is much like a balance pole for a highwire walker. It give security. For the desk move around it and lean on the front of it. Sit on it. What ever will make you comfortable. The point is the students should see you as being mobile.
6. Put flipcharts on either side of the room. Walk from the desk/podium to one flipchart and write something down. Then back to the desk/podium and go to the other flipchart. Just little things that will force you to move without making an issue of it with your students.

I just completed writing a new course dealing with developing instructor skills and media selection that has several sections on this very topic. The course will be available in June of this year.
Gary

I agree that this sends a bad message to the students. I am the type of instructor that likes to interact wtih students.

Thank you for these great pointers. It is very intimidating for new instructors to branch out from the podium. I like the keeping one hand on the podium idea and the insight into what the students are thinking when you stay behind the podium or desk.

Thanks again.

If you are teaching to a small number of students it is fine for you to be sitting behind a desk, and as long as you are able to have eye contact with the whole class, all is well.

Hi Yolanda,
Good point about small classes. Then you are using a round table approach where the entire class (6-8-10 students) are able to equally contribute to the class discussions. I like to teach classes like this due to the great interactions that result from the small numbers. Don't get to do it very often because the college wants large classes and the tutition dollars.
Gary

If you want to loose control of the learning environment, then it is perfectly fine to teach from behind a desk. I have always found that movement keeps me and my students focused and alert. When your students see you behind a desk or stationary, they will follow your lead. You will find that the majority of students will take a "lazy" or "don't care" attitude toward you and the course.

Hi Monique,
Well said! Movement attracts attention and helps to keep students focused. Also, I can't stay seated when I teach so moving around helps both the students and myself to stay on task.
Gary

Depending on the length of the class, I try to incorporate a little of both (behind the desk/podium and in front of it). I do realize how being stuck behind the desk gives the impression that you're separating yourself from the class. Get out there and mingle! It's not as scary as it may seem.
Sue Kinney

Hi Sue,
A part of getting out there and mingling is that you are claiming the classroom as your territory. Once you have claimed the classroom you can spend time behind your desk, then move out and about and the area will still be yours. If a teacher does not move about the students soon realize that they can do about anything in their area without the teacher interfering with their space. This can lead to class management problems. You have the right mix of movement.
Gary

I enjoy using the podium too. I also move around the room when I am lecturing. Some of my review time, I do sit at my desk to discuss. I don't feel that this takes away from the presentation.

Hi Leigh,
Instructors need to know when to use the classroom space and when to step out of it. For example, when you are reviewing you sit at your desk and things go well. This is because when an instructor sits down behind of the desk they have taken themselves out of the "in charge" mode and moved into the "support" mode. Support is exactly what you are giving your students through the review process. When you stand up the students know that you are ready to take control again and move on to another topic or activity.
Gary

I have seen this happen with some of my instructors. They sit behind their desk while students are talking in the back of the classroom, texting on their phones and disrupting the class. Instructors need to move around the classroom and take charge. When I teach, I walk around the class asking questions and calling the students by name. I try to make eye contact with as many students as possible. This allows me to acknowledge the student's presence in class and take charge of the classroom.

Hi Louise,
Thank you for those good comments. These are the essentials of being a good instructor.
Gary

VERY helpful stuff - I needed to hear this. Thanks!

I can not and will not do it. sitting behind the desk i feel gives the students the chance to get side tracked easily. while i am walking around they are more apt to aporch me with a question that they may not wwant to ask in front of the whole class. It also gives me a chance get to know the students better.

Hi Timothy,
Well said. I find the desk too confining, plus just as you said this position enables the students to just where you are at at all times, meaning they know they can carry on sidebar conversations, etc. without you being able to pick up on what is going on. Movement is the key!
Gary

In our classes, moving around is a must. We try and arrange the room so that the students are able to interact with each other, and in order for the instructor to make eye contact with each student he must move around. It helps keep students attention, and allows the instructor to make sure everyone is on task.

I've noticed it does help keep their attention. Some students are easily distracted and others simply have a difficult time staying focused.

A desk between you and the students creates a impersonal wall. The instructor needs to be involved with the clas. Being away from the desk makes you one of the "gang." Your students will respond to you much better. A podium is okay; but, step out from behind it occassionally. Your students need to feel involved with you.

Sign In to comment