Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Practicum Clinical/Lab

The students watch videos and listen to lectures from the theory professors. The students practice what they learn and since many work in Healthcare settings already, old habits are hard to break. Patience and redirection are always key in preparing for the future of the healthcare professionals.

What did you find helpful?

There were so many impactful pointers through the lesson what did you find was an aha moment for you? For me it was the resonance of using 10-15 min segments to allow them to stay focused it made me feel more confident in my approach to changing styles throughout a time period because before i was worried it would seem like too much information and be off putting. Instead, it has given me security in knowing that it's engaging their ability to learn. 

tests

need to determine the best test method to evaluate the students knowledge of the subject area.

cats

how to incorporate CATS to assess learning objectives

questions

i have learned that it is okay to wait several seconds after I ask a question to allow students to answer.  Silence is okay.

Meeting the Class for the First Time

What I learned in this section 'Meeting the Class for the First Time" is the idea of giving each student a 3 x 5 card to list their name, address, telephone number their current training status, and reason for enrolling. This will aid me in remembering names in the beginning and an insight into each student individually, their goals, passions, and priorities. 

Be Prepared

Make sure I review the curriculum and have the tools that is necessary for the class session. Make sure to have the major roles that are played for the instructor, which are Model; Manager; and Motivator. This will allow me to be prepared for my class.

Music

Have you tried listening to alpha music during class to help student performance? what were your thoughts about the effectivness?

Teaching one to one music production virtualy

This is just perfect for what I'm doing in terms of teaching students how to create music using a computer.

ED111R Implementing Active Learning

In this module, I noted ways to monitor whether my teaching strategies are impactful to students. Learning about the distinction between high-risk and low-risk activities was also helpful. 

ED111R Planning for Active Learning

This module taught me the importance of bringing critical and analytical thinking into the classroom. I learned the importance of setting objectives of learning and informing students on how their work will be evaluated. 

ED111R Understanding Active Learning

In the first module, I learned about the importance of using student-centered strategies rather than instructor-centered ones. While the traditional lecture might work for certain aspects of learning such as dates of events, students must be presented with more engaging teaching strategies. 

I plan on introducing more discussion segments in my courses. I also plan to allow for hands-on experience in the field. These two strategies combined should help empower my students in the learning process. 

EDU 111

My takeaway from this module has been the importance and emphasis on active learning for adult learners.

Delivery and Assessment

Utilize the overview for class already developed . Lesson plans can be adjusted to suit your time/teaching styles.

Policies and procedures

Why are syllabus, policies, and procedures important in the class.?

Self improvement

How can you improve as an instructor?

Technically speaking…

I am a baby boomer —sometimes challenged by technology; certainly can use improvement. Having used electronic health records with no problem, now a very green teacher, there is much more  to learn.  I will speak up and seek support in this area.

The Best Way to Engage and Assess Students

Have lectures that represent all learning styles, have reliable tests, be transparent, engage with questions, and vary taxonomy.

What have you learned from effective teaching strategies module?

Clear communication: Teachers need to communicate information clearly, using language and examples that students can understand.

Active learning: Encouraging students to be actively engaged in the learning process, through group work, discussions, and hands-on activities.

Differentiated instruction: Tailoring instruction to meet the needs of individual students, by recognizing their learning styles, interests, and abilities.

Feedback: Providing regular feedback to students on their progress and achievements, and helping them to identify areas for improvement.

Technology integration: Using technology to enhance the learning experience, by incorporating multimedia presentations, online resources, and interactive activities.

Classroom management: Creating a positive… >>>

Different points of veiw

Touring your classroom before teaching to see from a students view is interesting. Always try to build rapport with the students as soon as possible