Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Constructing a Learning Agreement with Students

Students expect a systematic approach to their learning of the main subjects in the course. One of the ways that I am receiving immediate feedback is the extension of a "Learning Agreement" with the individuals in the class.

Initially, I called it a "Learning Contract", but our litigious society has put a negative connotation on the word, contract. I realized that using the word, agreement, indicates that both of us will be required to act in a very objective manner:

pertaining to the course
desired learning outcomes and
practical applications to the real world.

I provide a template to the students that relates the following:

I need your help. It has become clear to me from students and personal experience that some classes ignore some points that would help the individual student.

Here is how you can help the class learn more. Think of some of the:
„\ topics,
„\ ideas,
„\ career objectives,
„\ family-related situations and,
„\ personal information, etc.

that you would like to receive in this class. We will examine those issues and make the class a more personally satisfying experience for you and me.

Thank you for your assistance. (Putting your name on this is not mandatory.)

I have received invaluable feedback that has personalized the course for the students. It has challenged me to find supplemental material to bring the suggestions of the students to life. This is a refreshing exercise to keep the course interesting for the student and the teacher.

Thank you!

I think this is a great idea. The Learning Agreement gives students a sense of "ownership" in the course. I had a similar experience where an instructor allowed students to decide what grade they wanted to receive in the course. Each letter grade was associated with certain tasks, assignments, and responsibilities that were to be completed in a satisfactory manner to achieve that letter grade.

Hi Monique,
This method can work with great results, since the students decide on the contents of the agreement. There is no mystery to the outcome. Do the work at a satisfactory level earn the grade.
Gary

We know that as an instructor we are dealing with a group of students who are "Left Brainer", so analytical, so elaborative, very organized and reader, we also have students who are "Right brainer". these are the students who are visual, creative, impulsive and fun.
what teaching style would you recommend to suit both type of the students?

Hi Shahram,
There are four major areas of learning preference, written word, auditory, visual, and tactile. The best way of appealing to both sides of students' brains is a mixture of the above mentioned learning preferences. If you can assess the learning preferences of your students that would be good. This way you will know what students prefer what learning preference. You then can develop learning content that use all four areas. When you have a student that is an auditory learner you know that your lecture will be well received by that student, but the student with a preference for written word will have a harder time staying focused. So then yo can create learning teams or groups and they will balance each persons preferences while they work together. Another strategy is to keep all instructional delivery units small. Example, mini-lectures of 15 minutes and then activities. This way even the students that prefer to learn through activities or tactile will know that if they focus on the lecture they will gain new knowledge and will be able to apply it in a few minutes when the application phase used.
Gary

I like the idea of short presentations,followed by activitys,and have tryed this on many occasions.What can I do when a high percentage of my students turn this time into social time?

Sign In to comment