Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Who are you and what did you do with our teacher?

I had to cover an instructor who called in sick. I never had her students before. When I walked into the class a student dropped her jaw. Just with their body language this large class communicated to me that I was not welcomed. Before they could pick up their jaws from the floor I immediately introduced my self. I gave a brief explanation about what happened to their teacher. I told them not to worry that they were in good hands.

Please share any suggestions you might have for instructors who might come in the middle of the quarter to be the new permanent teacher. I also like to get some input for the teacher who has to cover a class for a day with very little short notice.
John

Hi John,
You touched on a difficult situation. When students form a cohart group they generally don't welcome outsiders (sub teachers) to well. I don't have any outstanding recommendations on how to become part of the class dynamics other than to do what you did. When I go into a class like that I try to assure students that there is no threat and that the class will continue on with the same requirements and polices that the class is currently operating under. If my time in the class is going to be over several meetings then I start to put my instructional style into the process so the class can proceed forward. By being engaging and not threatening I have not had any real problems. The tough times were when I was subing in middle and high schools, now there was a challenge. An experience I don't wish to relive.
If I am going to be the new permanent instructor I try and continue with the same requirements and polices that are in existence. I then slowly move the students to my method of operation if I need to. Generally, I find that after just a few days the students will have gotten over their concerns and start to perceive me as the instructor for the long term. Just don't come in and try to rebuild everything, change the requirements, etc. No one likes change at that level.
When I am going to have a class for just one day, I let the students take the leadership and have them work on their assignments, projects, etc. If the instructor gives me a lecture or demo to do I do that but otherwise I let the students proceed with what they need to get done. This greatly reduces the trama that they might feel. For sure I do not do any assessments. I have proctored exams but not testing that I have developed. Just not fair to the students.
Gary

students will have to accept change in the professional environment so why not learn now how to cope with it. It's all part of the learning process.

It's funny how students can become so attached to a particular teacher. I replaced a medical instructor who was loved by all, and the reception I got initially was not that great! I wouldn't take it too personal, because I think it's very normal. After a few days, the students see that you are not the same person, but you have a lot to offer them as well. The director actually said to my students,"you came here for the course--not the teacher." As far as just filling in for the day for a teacher out sick--it seems perfectly acceptable to give them an assignment and if they ask questions you don't know, tell them you don't know. I could fill in for a business class, but I could never pretend that I was an expert with it.

Hi Lisa,
The bad thing about humans is that they don't like change, the good thing about humans is that they forget quickly that change has been made. For example. What was the newspaper headline last Wednesday? Probably don't remember, nor do you need to. My point is supportive of your remarks, students will quickly see the value of what you are teaching and redirect their focus on you as they move farther away from the memories of their previous teacher.
Gary

My experience substituting was a bit different, yet just as difficult to deal with. In being a rather dynamic personality, I substituted one week for a more subdued instructor. Initially, I was met with the “substitute angst” but once I got going people came alive and we had a blast. The person I substituted for is a very qualified person, it was just the difference in personality and on that particular day my dynamic jived with the students. Future substitutions for the same class were met with joy and eagerness by the students. A very humbling experience.

Hi John

I think that the most important thing is that you arrive in class before the students arrive and introduce yourself as they come in. Just as important is that you come in prepared for the class.

Our instructors have to cover each other's classes all the time. Sometimes they are happy about the change, sometimes they aren't. I just go in and introduce myself with a SMILE ON MY FACE and try to make the class fun as well as instructional. Students want to have fun and want the instructor to have a sense of humor. Try to get them to relax. Laughter makes them relax.

Hi Debbie,
Humor has helped many a teacher to overcome difficult situations and move on. Good points thanks.
Gary

Sign In to comment