Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Medical Assisting

Are we crippling are students by offering them too many opportunities to perform mediocre work in order to receive passing grades when personal hindrances beyond their control impact their lives.

Hi Sheronda,
You express a very real concern for all instructors. Instructors must maintain the standards of the profession for which they are training students. If they don't their students will not succeed. This is unfair to both the students and the profession. I try and offer all of the instructional support that I can to help my students to succeed, but I will not (cannot) compromise on knowledge and competence. They have to have both to pass boards and meet their career goals.
Gary

you should always instruct students to the highest quality--someday it may be your loved one who they will be assisting to help- and the knowledge that that loved one is in good hands is completely due to your quality of instructing.

Kudoos to you for job well done!!!!-

I do think that some instructors do cripple their students for the passing grade that they need. I feel that we as instuctors need to make their work more challenging because when they go to pass their certification exam they will not be ready nor will they be prepaired enough to pass the exam. We need to make them earn their degree, because they might be taking care of us some day and not know what they are doing. Shirley Cross

Hi Shirley,
Well said about being a patient one day under their care. We all want them to be highly trained.
In our curriculum planning we need to start with the end results, that being skilled and able to pass the certification exam and work backwards in terms of how we can best provide the needed content and skills. Also, we must always use as our standard, the competencies set by the business or industry we are training students to enter. It sounds like this is exactly what you are doing.
Gary

I think as instructors it is our responsibilities to make sure that our students receive all the necessary information that will make it possible for them to go in their chosen occupations and performed to the best of their abilities. The students' education should not suffer because we are too lazy to do our jobs.

Well sadly this is the norm through out America, due to the old mindset, that "if its not broke, why fix it"?

I have so many examples of instructors who get set in their ways and become reluctant to change of any type even when its so user friendly that even a cave man could use.

It leads me to wonder what is the motivation(s) for these instructors? Is it just paycheck or is it a genuine interest in helping to improve our chose careers in the Medical Industry by contributing to the improvement and quality of the future employees that we train??

Hi Mike,
I hear you loud and clear in terms of poor teaching that occurs in our classrooms. First, I don't know how these folks can call themselves professionals when they are not being professional in their preparation and presentations. Also, it is so much more exciting when you are being creative and challenging in your teaching.
Gary

AS A INSTRUCTOR IT IS YOUR JOB TO MAKE SURE YOUR STUDENT GET ALL THE INFORMATION NEEDED TO SUCCEED IN THE FIELD U ARE TEACHING IF YOU'RE TO LAZY TO DO THAT FIND ANOTHER JOB

Sign In to comment