Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Drawing the line

Where do you draw the line of being a manager and being authoritative?

Hi Bre,
Good question. A manager is in fact the authoritative one. By managing the classroom/laboratory the instructor sets the tone for how the course will be conducted. The other side of managing is managing the students. This is where the authoritative part comes in. The instructor sets the rules and requirements for the course, how the course will operate and what is expected of the students. If a student does not follow the rules then the instructor (manager) has to deal with it.
Gary

I agree with your comments, Dr. Meers. An instructor IS the classroom manager.

I don't have an authoritarian perspective, though. I prefer to see myself as a facilitator of learning who manages the classroom aspect of that learning. I have always preferred "disciplinarian" to "authoritarian." In the purest form, a disciplinarian is "one who enforces or believes in strict discipline," with discipline defined as "training that is expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior."

I hope this helps, Bre.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,
That is the beauty of being a manager of the classroom, you get to set the stage for success for your students. I enjoy helping my students make progress toward being gainfully employed and successful. I like your use of the term "disciplinarian". It is often used only in terms of behavior and discipline as in punishment.
The acquistion of any skill requires discipline and it is our job as instructors to provide the opportunities for our students to practice over and over until they are competent. If they quit then they have not developed the personal discipline to acquire the skill. It is like dieting and exercise. Both require discipline, not as punishment, though at times it may seem like it, but as self management to keep trying.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I agree with your comments, Dr.Grey. Teachers get to set the stage for success for their students. I also believe that being an effective manager and an authoritative is depending on the environment we create within our classroom. When we create an environment in which each individual student can freely express their concern, idea, and opinion, than we will be able not just to evaluate students level of understanding; but also measure their ability and competency.
We may have students that understand our lecture or presentation at once, or in the other hand we may have students who have some kind of learning difficulties and require practice over and over until they are competent.

Hi Abdul,
In response to your forum comments I want to reinforce the fact that an instructor must use a number of different ways of getting the material across to the student. Just as you said they may appear to have the information down but only through application can they know for sure.
Gary

When a student disrupts the classroom on a continuous basis it is time to draw the line.

Hi Maria,
What are some ways you would approach a student that is causing problems in your class before you draw the line? Also, what is your definition of drawing the line?
Gary

Dr. Meers,

Your right on your point. Has an instructor - we have to manage our course by tone, behavior, attitudes, and treatment of everyone in a uniform manner. This way we are not precieved has having favorites!

We are the authority, who is responcible for laying down rules, regulations, and policy implementation. This includes delivery of needed information and conveying the information in language they, the students understand.

Yes, at times punishment or motivation are needed to gain compliance. We must manage both of these factors!

Thanks,
Chuck

Hi Chuck,
You make a number of good points. Instructors have to manage both the class environment plus the students in order for learning to stay focused. It sounds like you have found a balance for yourself and your students.
Enjoy your teaching!
Gary

Sign In to comment