Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Participation versus Attendance

The First Day of Class

One of the first items to cover in class is the criteria for the Participation Grade. A number of students believe that they have "participated" if they show up at some point in the class and occupy a seat.

I give them a written outline of the parameters to acquire a score of 100 each day for Participation. It is up to them to earn the following points:

25 points - Arriving on time

25 points - Arriving prepared for class (reading, homework, etc.)

25 points - Active contribution to class activities, exercises and discussions

25 points - Departing at the Official Dismissal (sneaking out is not permissible)

Once the student knows how these points will be earned - not penalized, their mindset changes, accordingly. Furthermore, they realize that the guidelines are very objective in nature and application.

The best evidence of success is when you hear them policing each other to produce to earn the daily points. That is a rewarding moment for the student and the teacher.

Hi Lewis,
In my syllabus I have listed professional points. These points are to be earned in much the same way as you have listed yours. It is good to see you using this approach. I am very serious about preparing individuals to be professionals and as a result I want them to act like professionals. These points help them learn the behaviors needed.
Good job.
Gary

This is absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing this idea. I am taking this scale to my boss tomorrow and plan on this to remind the students to take an active role in their learning.

Hi Lewis,

I too find it sometimes hard to get students into their daily schedule and aware that it takes more than just showing up. Your Participation agreement is a great motivator. I am going to put some of these points into my next session and share with the other instructors as well. What a useful tool. Thank you for sharing.

I think this is a wonderful idea as well. I feel the student would appreciate the points for the things they have accomplished.

I think that you have a good idea. I often call my students to the board to work on problems or have them explain part of the lecture as a means of participation.

What a great idea. I plan to incorporate the participation grade in the future.

Thanks for sharing.

I to think this is a good idea. I have students that think with them showing up that is good enough. What a lot of students do not realize is that participation also helps them learn the subject matter. They think that if they participate they have to get the answer correct. I whole learning process is not always knowing the answer. I am going to start using participation points as well in my class.

Hi Gerjuan,
Well said. A space heater is just that a space heater, it is not a student. They need to know that they are expected to contribute to the discussion and participate in the activities. That is why they are there.
Gary

"How points can be earned - not penalized" is a great positive statement. I would always be telling them that they will lose points for such and such, and now I can tell them how they can earn a higher grade by doing so and so. Thank you for that perspective.

Hi Shiv,
Thank you for those kind words about reversing student point development. It is based upon the concept of forward focused learning. Always keep in mind how progress can be made rather than looking back at the mistakes that were made. We all learn from our mistakes and to do so we must see how what we have learned can help us in the future.
Gary

Sign In to comment