Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lesson Plans

Does anyone have suggestions for pulling students away from dependence on PowerPoint slides? It seems like most of my students have come to rely on that form of visual.

Thanks,
Jennie

Hi Jennie,
I think the dependence on any media is based upon the amount of useage. In my classes I use a number of different forms of media and instructional delivery. This way my students don't become comfortable using only one form.
Your comments are becoming more common with the use of publisher supplied PPs in conjunction with the textbooks. It is easy to pop in the CD/DVD and use what is supplied. I have found that many of those CD/DVDs don't present the material the way I like to present it. I look at the PPs and then develop my own using some of their ideas and my preferred way of sharing the information. I have found these customized PPs to be more effective for me and my students.
I use guided notes along with my PPs to keep the students from just copying everything that is on the slide. They start to rush through their writing because they are afraid that I will take the slide away before they have everything written down. Guided notes help to take this worry away.
I hope this answers your question, if not let me know and I will try and supply you with additional information.
Gary

I agree with Doc Meers in that I try to keep topic headings on the PP and the meat as part of the lecture and demonstration. This also lets us take poignant tangents as the students bring up the “What if…”, “How come…”, “Suppose you had to…” situations.

The lesson plans are necessary not only for teachersb but also for students in order to understand better the mechanich of class work

Hi Viorel,
Yes, lesson plans are guidance for both the instructor and the learners. We have to keep this in mind as we are developing our lesson plans. The are a road map to be followed by many.
Gary

Well, I think depend on what you're teaching. I teach computer repair and some times I do slide the pages with power point. The only thing is that most of the time I have to scan the pages from books than play it with power point.

Hi Daniel,
As you well know the key to being a great instructor is the ability to modify and adapt your instructional approach and content to meet the needs of your students. From your comments it sounds like that is what you are doing. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I like using PP in the classroom. However, I use it to present topics for discussion and detailed diagrams. Lots of text on a slide means that they are reading and not listening to the lecture.

Hi Hubert
You covered a very important point with using the PP. Make sure that there is not excessive text used. Student divert their attention to getting down the text and are not able to really focus on the content.
I like your point about PP being used for discussion items. PP was never meant to replace handouts or text but many instructors use it that way.
Gary

Sign In to comment