Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Textbooks and their authors

I think that one of the most important things about a textbook is the authors approach as mentioned in the discussion. It can really make or break the direction of the class. But how do you know which author is going to be the most effective? Is it trial and error?

Hi Bre,
I have found that what helps me to determine which author is the most effective is by asking other teachers that have used the text. I also talk with my book rep and ask them for other colleges that are using the book. I call instructors at those colleges. I work very hard to find the right text, due to the cost of texts and how much time we will spend in them. I look for texts that follow my teaching style and my comfort level on how the content is delivered.
On two occasions I couldn't find a text that would work for me so I wrote one. This is an alternative though I'm not sure I would recommend it. Writing books take much time and effort, but is an option.
Gary

Regarding authoring one's own textbook; I am caught between a rock and a hard place. In only having a bachelor's degree the accreditation companies see me as an unqualified author due to the lack of letters behind my name, yet in 20+ years of practical job experience I am viewed as an expert in my field. I know of no text book that lays out a practical step by step “How to” for my field so writing an original work seems essential. Most text books are technical manuals or history books where the student really needs to know “When faced with this.. do that” kind of situational experience.

What steps can one take to overcome such obstacles?

Hi Bradford,
Good question. It seems that this is always awkward for authors. I have been in this situation on numerous occasions. The approach I take is I show the administration that my text is the only one introducing the content in the way that I feel that it should be presented. Secondly, it is based upon many years of field experience and is validated by acceptance by the field. If your text is as you say it is you should not have to apologize for using it. As for letters behind ones' name, I would not worry about that. Does the book help your students to succeed in the content area? If it does then your 20+ years of experience count for the letters. Some of the best books written in technical fields come from people that have direct experience and tell it how it is.
Be confident with your book and document how it is received by students and you will be fine. Keep in mind that I am writing this from a technical field perspective. I spent many years in the construction trades, writing books like the "Carpenter's Toolbox Manual" because it was needed. The acceptance of this book and others like it helped me to be accepted as a "expert" in the field.
Gary
Gary

I have been working on a text book myself and am having a problem documenting the resource material where I acquired the information. Most of the books on my subject are written by very educated people and are so advanced as to be confusing to the reader. I am trying to bring it to a student with no more than an eighth grade reading level. I have even found books that contradict each other. When this happens both my students and I set up scenarios to either prove or disprove the information. This can be quite an education for the both of us. Sometimes I find that both books are correct under certain conditions, but the conditions are not mentioned in the books. When do I give credit to an author for information and when is the information original?

Hi Ronald,
Good approach. This method helps your students to develop their own approaches to testing the content and materials. This is what they are going to have to do in the real world and this is good preparation for it.
Gary

Sign In to comment