Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Model/Manager/Motivator

As a working professional in the field of study I often share with my students an event I dealt with during the day to allow them inside information about what type of issues they will encounter.

In ending the class for the day, is there anything you can say to peak the student curiosity to get them excited about the next class?

How much information and back ground do you tell students about yourself. And does it include personal information? Whats the limit?

Re:

What are some of the ways you use to make sure you have the right learning enviroment?

re: icebreakers

Do You use ice breakers to start off a new module, and if so what kind.

I have found that most student learn faster with the help of visual aids. Let's face it this is a visual society.

when new student enters my classroom for the very first time I always explain the them (after introducing myself ) that it usually takes me two to three days to remember their name and to please forgive me if I make an error within that time span. But, I usally make little notes on post-its to help me remember their names.

Planning and Preparation

I have found that being well prepared before class makes the day much smoother for myself as well as my students.Reading all necessary materials helps you to be more confident when it comes to answering questions that students needs answers to.

The learning environment needs to have structure, but how can you make it to be comfortable for the studnets?

When you have students Teens and Adults, in the same class, When adults want to have and take the class very serious and teens just want to have fun?

classical music in classrooms?

How do you feel about playing soft music in the background at a very low volume. To my research classical and soft music help the learning process a great deal.

Don't become a pal.

Regarding the Role 2 Manager section: "Don't become a pal." I have seen this happen too many times. An instructor will give a student a few "bucks" for lunch, then that student seems to go to them for every problem they have including needing more money. Too many instructors feel sorry for the student and the "borrowed" money is never returned. Students also feel that their instructors can fix their personal problems as well. Many want advice regarding marriage, children, etc. and too often instructors are willing to give it. This creates more of that "pal" relationship. Helpful suggestions are… >>>

ED101

Have you ever presented material to your peers and have them evaluate your methods of teaching. I have found they are not as critical as the students evals.

ED101

I have an instructor that does not know the names of the students - This is very frustrating for the students -I feel sorry for the instructor because the students make comments about how she does not remember their names and they have also lost confidence in her teaching due to this

EC101

the learning environment needs to have structure but also be comfortable for the studnets

ED101

I'm currently taking classes ata University - I have learned so much from watching may instructor - There are some techniques I will use in the classroom and some I will not use.

Establishing Expectations

I think one of the most difficult challenges instructors face in post-secondary education, is establishing expectations that are reasonable for the students. Some instructors set expectations that are so high the students become discouraged early on the course. Other instructors may set the bar too low, which may lead to boredom. How can an instructor create realistic expectations in the classroom?

Delivering the Lecture

Have you ever videotaped yourself lecturing? What have you learned about your delivery style or mannerisms?

How would you handle two different catigories of students in the same class? Smart and active vs. slow and careless

Instructional Style

How can you develop and refine your instructional style?

Making the Course Relevant

What are your strategies for making the course content relevant to the learning needs of students?