Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Additional Resources

I always provide for my students additional resources on the subject matter that is being covered in class. It seems as though they get this additional information and never use it. How can I get them interested with the subject (graphic design) at hand and understand that they are going to always have to look at addition resources to possibly solve a problem.

Hi Gerjuan,
The approach I use is to make the additional resources a part of the class when I use them or refer to them. I have given my students worksheets to complete as they work through the resources. If the resources are handouts I have them use the handouts to complete activities. I don't give out or refer to resources without getting the students looking and using them. I am trying to get them to find resources on their own to do just what you indicated needs to happen. Look at other sources to solve a problem. A little thing I do is to use colored paper so I can key the color of the paper to the part of the lesson I want the students to use it with. Just makes referencing easier for them and me.
Gary

I teach Physics, and my subject give me the freedom to get many additional information about any particular lesson. I noticed the students get very interested in the problem presented direct proportional with the numbers of additional information offered.

Hi Viorel,
In presenting problems in physics are you using a case study approach as to how certain solutions will result in different outcomes? I am very interested in your methodology is you would be willing to share it.
Gary

I teach computer user support and I ask my students to bring in any questions they can not answer or have diffuculties in presenting the questions

Hi Phuong,
How do you handle the questions that the students bring into your class. Do they share them verbally, in writing, discussion groups, etc. Does each student get to submit one question each day? How do you handle this so you don't spend all of your time answering questions and not be able to get to your content?
Gary

Hi Gary,
After the lecture, I usually put them into group discussion, ask every student do research projects on the topics and submit the result in writting I then share the questions and answers to them to make the points clearer.

Phuong

Hi Phuong,
Good approach. The key to learning retention is review and application and through the use of discussion groups and writing you are doing just that with your students.
Gary

I always use addtional resources to back up the main subject matter and try to give a alterative way to look at course.

I have all kinds of resources other than the standard powerpoint. I was a GM tech for many years so upon copyright clearance I've shown the students books I was supplied with over the years.Also have the students do an alldata research project if you run out of things to do. We have a learning center at the Norwood facility which is a great tool for additional lab exercises . I also inquire about students vehicles'problems relative to the course at hand,You would be surprised how much they participate in this lab. If time permits we will also go to lab to diagnose and repair such faults .Another resource I have used is the Repair Order writing module. In this module the class goes outside and creates an RO on their own vehicle. State change is always good for class morale and it gives the student a chance to talk one on one with the instructor.

Sign In to comment