Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Learning Styles

Motivating younger vs. older students

In my last class the age spread was from 18 to 42. While it is not always that wide, I find a consistent trend towards the older students being self-motivators. I'm sure we all realize several obvious reasons for this such as maturity, life experience and the fact that older students are attending class on their own accord rather than their parents sending them! However, I cannot help thinking that if I did a better job relating to the younger students, (I'm 38) motivating them would be immensely easier. I believe motivation is so important because for some of the… >>>

Motivating Students

I find motivating students to be one of the most challenging aspects of teaching. To explain this fully requires some generalization about students "today". At the outset I must say that while this generalization is intentional, I fully recognized that not all students are the same. I know this to be true from my own classrooms where I find many motivated students. This said, it is my observation that students today tend to be extremely difficult to motivate. After reading the materials presented in module #3, I better understand causation, but will have to think further about how to address… >>>

The teacing environment

Does anyone percieve a difference between the teaching environment-from an instructor's point of view, and the learning environment-from a student's point. It occurs to me that they are one in the same, but that there may be differences depending on perspective.

Instructional Style

The topic 1 module discusses Instructional Style in general terms; briefly mentioning "lecture style of instruction". No other instructional styles are listed or are discussed. After reading the section I began thinking about my style of instruction, and could only determine that it was probably a lecture style, but one that is very interactive. I am interested in examples/descriptions of other instructional styles, anybody care to offer?

Buddy

when exactly can one be considered a buddy?

Useful

this is the most useful of all the lessons, thanks and you should consider adding more examples of the different delivery and demonstration methods.

Motivation tricks

Are there any "good for all" motivation "tricks" you can recommend?

experience

Do you feel an instructor has to have experience in the field they are teaching or not ?

Creativity in the classroom

After taking this module I was pleasantly surprised that I have made a lesson plan that incorporates a lot of the components needed to have a successful class. I am teaching a meditation course this weekend and I have formed lecture notes to discuss walking meditation and purchased a video that is 30 min. on labyrinths and found a labyrinth at a nearby church for a field trip. I think it is going to be a lot of fun. It certainly covers the basis for the students to have a clear understanding of the components of what is entailed in… >>>

Putting on a persona

I think teaching is a bit like acting. It's really important to have confidence in the classroom and sometimes you have to "fake it until you make it." I think it helps to think of it in terms of putting on a persona. Who are you when you teach? Ask yourself "Who do I want to be when I teach" and then be that.

You can't overemphasize this!

This is such a critical piece of the successful running of a course. You can assume students know what to expect, especially if they've been at the school for awhile, or you teach more than one class and you've had those students before. But I find it is always better to take the time at the beginning of every class to set clear expectations, go over the syllabus and school policies, and establish clear boundaries. And, it's always better to be a little harder/stricter at the beginning because you can ease up later as opposed to being soft at the… >>>

This was very helpful

I am grateful I had the opportunity to take this module. I have been incorporating some of the information, but I find this will help me organize my thoughts so the class will run much smoother by making a great first impression. Thanks

Handouts are great!

I work at a massage therapy school and there are not always a lot of books available to choose from as potential texts considering some of our course content can be a little esoteric. We often use handouts (from trade magazines, websites, etc) to supplement our teaching. In fact, some of our courses are built around handouts, manuals, and charts and don't even have a required text. Handouts are an important addition to our courseware!

Audit if you can!

I work at a massage therapy school and their policy is to audit the class they want you to teach before you teach it. (They try to have several instructors in reserve who can all teach the same class in case someone gets sick or if multiples of the same class are being offered.) I think this is such a helpful tool.

Students review for quiz

When I have time to review previous lectures or for reviewing for a quiz, I will have each student in the class create a quiz question (from the current subject)in their head and ask the rest of the class the question. I think looking at the topics from a different view points helps a student broaden their understanding of the topic and enables them to apply the newly acquired information in a small but meaningful way. I will try not to go on to the new topics until everyone in class has come up with a good question.

Easter Egg Hunt

I am preparing for a Reflexology class I am teaching this weekend and Sunday is Easter. I thought it would be a fun activity to have an easter egg hunt. I 'm considering putting a reflex in each egg and the student has to locate the reflex on their own foot. The student with the most eggs gets a prize. I was wondering if anyone has a better idea. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks

Preparing Self for Class

Will be applying all new info.

Meeting The Class The 1st Time

I had already been applying many of these techniques and will continue add the and the new.

Structured Teaching Skills

The format was presented in well orginized and helpful way so that I can apply it immediately .