Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Great Teaching Info

:-] This will be a great help in organizing myself for future classes since my background as a nurse and massotherapist never covered this .

Lecture Formats

I am all to familiar with the standard lecture, passive student listening format. I throw out questions to get an interaction, but I like the concept of maybe basing my lectures around a fundamental problem to be solved by the class. Perhaps, implementing multiple mini lectures as a means of steps to solve the problem.

Preparing yourself for class

I wanted to comment on the suggestion to "avoid a cold start" by getting to class a few minutes early and chatting informally with students before the class starts. While in point of fact I do the latter, my idealized image of a teacher or a professor is to be more aloof. I'm thinking of John Housman in "The Paper Chase," or even how Alistair Cook used to introduce Masterpiece Theatre. The professors I remember the best in my own education, from Harvard, Yale, and Vanderbilt, had a larger than life quality. I feel so small in comparison, even now… >>>

Motivating Students

What would be some ways to increase the appreciation in value of the learning experience? Yhea, students see the need to get an education for a career, but they see course work often times as a "hoop" instead of a foundation.

teaching skills

Having been a student not too long ago, I now realize the importance of the task the instructor has to organize, present, and evaluate each of the students taking the course.

teaching skills

I now see how important the first class beginning and onset of the material presentation is. Much depends on the instructor and the student roles upon meeting for the first time.

teaching skills

I have learned from your website the importance of well planned classroom organization can be. I see the structure presented , it will be very helpful in the future.

teaching skills

I am currently a teachers aid. I have learned so much from the information offered on your website, I look forward to practicing in the classroom.

Delivering course content

When planning the lesson I often feel a particular movie would be helpful in facilitating understanding of our topic area. However, I think that since students are paying for their schooling I should suggest the movie but not take up class time to present it. An example would be the movie "Crash" for a chapter about prejudice. Thoughts and comments? Am I off base here?

Structured Learning

How do you balance the needs of older students with that of younger students? Older adults want the information and examples of how to use it in a practical manner, the younger students just want to know the "stuff" for the quiz/exams.

Instructor Style

What might be some ways to engage students in basic science applications outside the classroom with regards to a two year professional degree? I am looking to have them experience the need for such knowledge as it applies to their careers and the health of their clients.

Model/manager/motivator

I want the students to be actively involved in discussion in the class. However that's no substitute for spending the time reading the textbook to prepare for class. It is my impression that they feel their emoting should guarantee them success in the class in and of itself. I blame their exposure to television talk shows which seem to confuse public baring of the soul with knowledge and wisdom. Bruce Crissinger

Attendance Policies on the Syllabus

One difficulty I have with planning the syllabus and the policies is the Attendance Policy. What are the best ways to make it clear on the syllabus that attendance is important? Will assigning additional work to students who are absent help?

I found that mature "old aged" students are more oriented for study at career school. They know what they can expect. They aware that they sacrifice their time and they want to get more for the time spending in school. Some young people are good as well. At the same time, there are students who choose the school without future vision. They came to school without any interst. Probably, they will not stay in profession later. But we have to teach everybody regardless. So, I try to spend more time with the students who have ego to study, even if… >>>

Meeting the class for the first time.

Generally, on the first day of my classes, I go around the room, and have everyone introduce themselves, and say something about themselves. Eventually, this leads to a discussion of the class itself, and to why being enrolled in the class will benefit their understanding of their chosen field of study. It also helps me to remember names and have a little background information on each student, because while this is taking place I take notes and include them in their file.

Selecting Supplemental Materials

I find that the inclusion of "handouts" in class actually benefits the student. I use them as a source of quick reference, a more consice available source of information. And also as a summary of material covered.

Motivator

As an instructor, in learning, I find that some students often want to "put the cart before the horse" as it were, when what should occurr is a step by step approach that will leave them informed and hungry for more. I take a step by step approach, and find that it really works in my field of study.

Optional Materials

I find keeping attune to what is going on in the industry is very important. I will seek the most updated information on a subject before I draw up my lesson plan to include beyond the basic knowledge out of the text. In this ever changing world students want to know they have the most recent information.

Comfort Level

In my first class I try to make students comfortable about what our educational goals are during said course. I find it opens minds to learn if they feel it is what they put into as much as what I teach them. I use "WE" often to let them know it is a collective effort but ultimately they are responsible for what they learn. It has worked well because students do not have any problems asking questions.

Confidence

A well prepared instructor lends confidence to their students to accompolish their highest level educational goals.