Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Teaching by Example

The best way to teach students especially in the technical field is by example. Understanding the needs and the skill sets of the students is critical to their success and that determines your success. Does anybody want to contribute to this?

be prepared

One should always be prepared before standing and lecturing adults. You can bluff for 20 min. but then they will see the light!!! I alway come prepared.

mixing it up also

I try with each subject I teach to mix it up. I use a challenge, homework reading, powerpoint, review exercises and some case studies where applicable. I also prepare the students a week ahead of time to work on their review sheets for upcoming tests. I have great sucess all around.

cheating

It never amazes me that students, in smaller classes under 25 think that an instructor will not see them cheating, for example,keyboarding. There are always a couple of students that hand in work that repicates another. What is more amazing is that they think you will not figure it out! I always give them an option. I bring the students in the conference room and ask the question "Is there something about your work you would like to share with me?" When they do not come clean, I give them thier options dictated by the school. I also make them… >>>

Variations of teaching and learning

It's always good to have different methods of teaching because there are different ways of learning. I notice my students like this because they don't know what the next class will be like. Will there be a videotape? Will there be a discussion? Will there be a lecture? It's good to keep the students interested in the class.

To-do list is a great tool

A to-do list is very handy. This list will make sure nothing is left out and you can check off what you have covered so none of the information will be repeated. When the students see this, they will know that everything in that class will be done in order and complete.

Be prepared

We as teachers always expect our students to be prepared for class, to bring in their textbooks, their assignments, their pens, etc. But sometimes its the teachers that do not come in well prepared for the class. Students ask questions about the course and on the material and we should always be prepared to answer any question at any given time. Organization plays a big part in being prepared.

Always to help students

The main goal in teaching is to help the students and what better way than to be their model, manager, and motivator? Students do look at their teachers as role models and who better than us teachers to show them what people in the real world are like? It's good for us to always keep ourselves in check to be a good example.

ED 101

Please give more imformation about more additional guidelines. May be in the future.thanks.

ED 101

I have may style of demonstrate in teaching of technical subjects but I learn more bout your style.Thanks

ED 101

I like your way by group of 4 or 5 it is to memories the student name .thanks

ED 101

In this course I learn more I hope to take more classes in the future. thanks

ED 101

This is may first time to take this course,I realized that need more improvement to make.I hope totake more classes.thanks

How should I use the text book

I teach computer repair in my classroom. I usually do 30% theorical and 70% practical but this method doesn't work for all. Some students need more hands on than others. The problem is that some are very curious and want to know more but they don't like to read even though our text book it's very interesting. I am not limited in this subject but it takes a lot my time to explain them. I would like to get suggestion from any person that knows how deal with it. I will appreciate your suggestion.

ice breaker

Start each class with an ice breaker. A riddle to get the brains movingand have the students over come their first day fears

Get to know each other

In providing activities for students to get to know each other, one must be careful not to require too much personal information. In today's environment, that could be embarrassing for some, any comments? Bill Adriance

Adult attention span

When instructing adults, who work full time jobs, the attention span fluxuates during evening classes. I find it necessary to vary activities from lecture to lab to group project, etc., to keep them going until class is dismissed. Anyone have input along these lines?

Model, Manage & Motivate

Instruction is like Sesame Street. If you explain on the onset of each class what is going to be covered ( objectives), the time frames involved, and how they are going to be graded, you will have a win - win situation. Be consistent but not boring in what you do. Enlist student group discussion. Elect a project manager. State many opinions are going to come into play and you do not have to agree but respect thats person thought. Put a motivational quote on the bored each day. They look forward to it. Be organized, consistent and clear. Challenge… >>>

GAMES ARE ALWAYS FUN

try out games!

confidence

What is the best way to develop my skills in this area. thank you