Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Attire in the classroom

Does appearance really set forth the outlook students have on their instructors more than the comprehensive knowledge of the information being learned.

Maintaining Professionalism

I am currently an instructor at a technical school for audio engineering. Classes are small, hand on learning is our chosen method of teaching and students can vary in many aspects. What are some of the best ways to keep students engaged during the entire class? It seems as though the students get tired and start to talk amongst themselves towards the end.

becoming too friendly w/ students

i'm going on my second year as an instructor in a post secondary school, and finding myself constantly becoming too friendly with students. How can i better create a level of professionalism while maintaining a fun learning environment

making it on my own part two.

just trying to make it in the world.

Making it my own

I teach at a facility where the course lessons are prepared for me. When I first started I had a very difficult time intergrating my teaching style into the course lectures. Now though I have learned to supplement the lectures with information that helps me put my own spin on the course material. I try as often as possible to provide the latest statistics and research when available, also I input any personal professional experience into lecture, students seem to react well to such methods.

Set guidelines immediately

I am big on setting guidelines on the first day of class, whether it be regarding academic or behavioral. It feel it sets the tone for the seriousness of the course and how I expect my students to act. Specifically I go over the class sylubus and the school's student expectation guidelines. I'm sure it get tiring for repeat students but at least I know they are aware of school standards.

copy of this course

Hi, What would be the easiest way to get a printed copy of this course? I'm afarid that over the summer I'll forget a lot of what has been covered here. Thanks, Geoff

ED 101

When I set out to take this course, I felt that it would be just one more thing to add to the to do list. After taking the Final Exam I realized that I had actually learned alot about my teaching style and many ways to improve on it. I hope to take more classes in the future. Thanks.

Breaks in the class

I'm teaching a three hour class twice a week. What is the recommended time to take breaks? I have gotten so into presenting things that when I look at the clock, I've been going for two hours. Although the students seem to be right with me, I'm not sure as to what the best approach would be. Is there a standard rule of thumb here? Thanks

Reading from Texts

I am in my second semester as an instructor and read in the online course that reading from the text is not recommended. Is it better to have the students share in the reading? When I discuss my experiences as they relate to the lesson, everyone perks up and they get involved. Is there a better way to share the text other than memorizing?

Making the most of a 3 hour session.

Hi! I'm teaching a series of courses relating to Marine Services. It had previously been determined that about half the time would be lecture, and half the time hands-on. The lecture is fine, but I have eight students that have to have a meaningfull work session during that 1.5 hr. period allocated to hands-on. I end up running around like a nut trying to respond to each persons needs quickly enough to not waste a big part of his night's experience. I've been reluctant to change the format to a 3 hour lecture one night and a 3 hour class… >>>

Lesson on Day One?

In addition to introductions, expectations, and a review of the course syllabus, we were to begin our first lesson on the first day of school. This was in a secondary public school setting, and the reasoning was quite simple, it gave teachers the opportunity to set the tone for the school year on the first day of class. The post-secondary setting is somewhat different, while in some ways the same, but is it advisable to begin the first lesson on the first day of class in the post-secondary setting?

Abusing contact info

I have been providing my students with my email address to submit their homework and ask questions. This one kid has been sending me jokes. So far, they have been appropriate, however, it's a lot. I would rather him not send them. What do you recommend?

Late Work

If a student turns in their homework late, should they still have the opportunity to score 100 or should we always take points off for being late?

Class start time?

I teach a 6pm class which is also a long walk from the front door of the school. Many of the students have day jobs and have a hard time arriving on time and then with the long walk to the classroom makes them chronically late. We only have 1 hour so I want to start class on time but how long should I wait to really get started? I don't want the stranglers to miss out on the lesson.

Dead Air

I am new at teaching and have found myself completely drawing a blank after I have covered a topic. I feel like a deer in the headlights or a radio dj with dead air not having a good transistion from one message to the next. I feel like the students are watching me scramble for my notes, trying to find my place in the lesson. Any suggestions?

I don't want to be the "pal"

In every new session and with every new class of students I explain that I am available to them if they encounter issues in any school related area, not just my classes. I have been told this is teetering upon the becoming a "pal" and such issues should be handled by the director. I have noticed though that some of the students are not comfortable with speaking with the school's director, this person can be a bit intimidating. Also any time an issue comes up I immediately bring it to the attention of the director, I do not take matters… >>>

Importance of Knowing about adults learning styles

It is amazing to see how diverse our adult studnet population can be. It amazes me to see how different flows of ideas take place when students are working in teams. It is of extreme importance that adult educators are wel informed of this matter so that activities are planned accordingly to meet the needs of our adult population.

Teaching material prepared by others

Previously I taught a nursing assistant program to where I selected the entire curriculum. I would change up the order I would teach subjects to keep myself from getting in to a rut. It was heaven! Now I am teaching totally different. I am having a hard time adjusting to presenting material that has to be taught on a schedule,(I must follow a daily schedule of what to teach each day), and using material that I would not choose to use. If I feel my students need less time on a subjsct and more on another, I don't have that… >>>

Comparing Instructor to Instructor

Students often compare myself to other instructors. I am a different sort of instructor who likes to challenge students with scavenger hunts, memory games, and various activities to keep it interesting. The majority like the variety and they are learning as we review. But they compare me with other Instructors who are not as different. Am I too different?