Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Instructional delivery

Being available and respectful of students time example,  giving timely feed  backs and showing up to class prepared.

what is deductive and inductive?

Deductive consists of a top-down approach, but the inductive approach is bottom-up. The instructor needs to use both of them for students' learning. 

Assurance is Everything

This was a very informative course. I am definitely proud of me being that I have this teaching style in which taking this course has  assured me that I can only get better .I've learn new techniques .Students being motivated and engaged is the ultimate goal of them being successful.

Tech hiccups / Now what?

As technology progresses for instructional purposes. Does one still take the time to ensure there is a backup? For example, I have arrived as a guest instructor, and the system doesn't want to project the material into the students' systems. I find it essential to take a few moments to troubleshoot it, but if the problem continues I move on. I will work off a dry-erase board while others are working on fixing the issue. Once the issue is resolved. I return to the material being presented. 

Classroom Readiness

Arrival time is vital: Arriving before class start time. 

Being prepared: Knowing your Subject & Content matter.

Demeanor Upbeat.

Professionalism: Neat Clean Grammar & Diction  

Discussion

What I have learned in this course is that it is important for instructors to have a clear syllabus for the students. It is sort of being in preperation. The instructior should also be well prepared when it comes to the material as well as it should be well organized. 

Professional Development

Is there any other professional development recommendations?

What I have learned

What I have learned in regards to this recent educational material was that we all as human being need envouragement. Encouragement basically motivates another to keep going. Although we need to be our own motivation, it is very important as instructors to add on to that motivation to the students so that they can get a boost of confidence to keep pushing. 

Becoming A Seasoned Instruction

Part of becoming a successful instructor is making sure that you continue to educate yourself and stay up to date on with competencies. One of the things that resonated with me the most was learning about not being a pal to your students. Last quarter was very difficult for me as an instructor because I was engaging more like a pal to win my students over.  After taking this course I have gained a lot of insight and will now implement new practices.

Eye Contact @ body language

two most important things in all communication.

Good content

Will use this in the classroom.

¿Qué es más importante "memorizar" o "entender"?

Si bien ambos aspectos son importantes y pueden complementarse en distinta proporción. Creo que la memorización puede ser un primer paso necesario para adquirir conocimientos, pera luego enfocarse en la comprensión y la capacidad de aplicar ese conocimiento para el aprendizaje significativo. En última instancia, el equilibrio entre memorizar y entender puede variar según el contexto educativo y las metas de aprendizaje.

Knowledge

Why is all this facts not taught in school. We only know the basic .

INtroductions

I actually like when a new class starts and I have the students introduce themselves. I get a sense of the backgrounds and the whys they are in the programs. 

Learning Preference Survey

Has anyone found/used a learning preference survey that works well in the high school levels?

How do we engage students?

Please list effective ways new instructors can engage their students in class?

Dress code and unprofessionalism as a professor question

Is it me or does it seem like a lot of professors of nursing don't practice what they preach. It's been my understanding that as professionals we should look the part and act the part. But yet I see professors with false eyelashes, hair down in their face/back, and eating in skills lab and in clinical areas at clinical sites when it clearly states no drinks or food!!! It's all about professionalism......... infection control and doing what we can to protect ourselves, our patients as well as our students!!

Getting started

I am wondering if I am over-prepping. Does anyone else worry about that too?

Practicum Clinical/Lab

The students watch videos and listen to lectures from the theory professors. The students practice what they learn and since many work in Healthcare settings already, old habits are hard to break. Patience and redirection are always key in preparing for the future of the healthcare professionals.

What did you find helpful?

There were so many impactful pointers through the lesson what did you find was an aha moment for you? For me it was the resonance of using 10-15 min segments to allow them to stay focused it made me feel more confident in my approach to changing styles throughout a time period because before i was worried it would seem like too much information and be off putting. Instead, it has given me security in knowing that it's engaging their ability to learn.