Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Non-Test Test.

My classes consist of teaching students Product Design and the Fundamentals of Engineering Technology and most of the students come from a wide and varied background.
I never liked taking tests myself so I try to assess my students by giving them design projects that show me the level of understanding and application of the material that they have acquired from the classroom. It also gives then the opportunity to add creativity to what they are doing by personalizing the product they design. So far this has worked well for me. I try to change the projects every so often so they dont get stale for my students or myself.

Andrew LeRoy

Hi Andrew! Yep I guess we're on the same page with that! Do you have any students that aren't drawing/creating something properly and when you show them how to correct it-they say "I know, I know"...and then still proceed to do it incorrectly?

I believe that several students are fearful of test taking. They may not show a true understanding of what they comprehend. Application of material learned is a great way to assess their level of understanding.

i give my students real world problems they will see and see how well they do.

I believe its not just students who have trouble taking tests.
During these courses I have realised I'm not actually learning very much beyond basic generalisations. I'm not a reading learner, I need concepts explained

Some of our classes assess students in their production classes both ways - students take a written test for facts, step by step procedures, proper names, correct temperatures, sanitation. Then they complete a project to specific criteria.

You are right some students do demonstrate their advanced knowledge and techniques in their finished product but they receive the same grade as the student who just met all the stated specific criteria - outstanding.

If a written test is required, I make sure that all students have mastered that skill before I make them pick up their pencil!

Sign In to comment