Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Maintaining Motivation during extended absences

The students in my graduate classes are deployable because of their job or their organization. This may mean that they are gone from class from one to four weeks. While there are makeup assignments due and we communicate electronically, it has been difficult to maintain motivation when they aren't physically part of the class. Any suggestions?

Hi Jennie,
Keeping motivation is tough when working under these conditions. I would suggest that you focus on individual attention for these students when they are gone and just before that come back to class. If they feel that they are caught up with the class it will be easier to get them reconnected with the what is going on in the class. As you know the struggle is to get them invested in the class and the activities within it. In cases like this I have given such students assignments that they are to report on when they return. This way they are reminded that they have a role to play in the course.
Gary

I have the same issue with adult students. Try giving them an off day to attend tutoring session.

I have a similar problem with adult ed students, but the problem is they simply do not show up! Life, work, family, they all take priority. How do I get them to stay caught up, when walking in class 4 days later they know their work is now already late or possibly not even accepted. How do I turn this into a positive discussion? I had one coleague suggest talking to them as school being a place of refuge; had that talk; can't say it helped.

Laura,
This is a tough problem to find a solution for since there are so many variables involved in getting them to school each time class meets and on time. The idea of school as refuge is a good one and works for many students. As you say though not for all since the life challenges outside of school are so great that in reality nothing will change their pattern of school participation. For these students we encourage and support them but we also let them know that maybe at this time it would be best if they step out of school and work through the challenges they are facing and then come back to school when they can really bear down and be successful. This has worked well for many students as they appreciate our willingness to help them step out and then back in based upon their situation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment