Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

THE DEVELOPMENT OF A POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT

Our students have an expectation for the classes in their chosen curriculum. They expect the newly-acquired information to be the stepping stone to success in their field.

As they travel this academic journey, we have to create an environment that affords them the opportunity to free of the mental, social and familial chains. These chains have precluded them from being productive in the past.

I promise the class that they will be in a cocoon free of the negative forces that haunt them daily. I share with them some of the obstacles that have been in my way, during the same time frame.

People would ask me:

"Why do you want to go to a big school? You will get lost there.

"Why do you think that you can be a college graduate?"

"How are you going to pay for it?"

I share with them questions that have been asked of other students:

"What makes you think you can graduate? No body in your family has a college degree."

"What are you going to do with your kids, when you are in class?"

"How are you getting to class? You don't have a car!"

These questions originate from envious people. They realize their own limitations. Then, they impose their negative feelings upon my students.

Once I explain that mindset to the students, I see the change in their countenance as we talk about being successful - against all odds. It is great to witness the metamorphosis.

I promise them that this class will be the most positive place for them to dream, reach for their goals and be told at every class, "Yes you can do it!"

The greatest intrinsic reward is to see the seeds of confidence and self-worth germinate and begin to flourish in the classroom setting. Months and years later, I receive phone calls and emails from excited students who are reaching their new plateau in personal and professional growth.

This is a great moment of validation for the past student, the present student and for the teacher. It reinforces my resolve to continue this practice in every class, regardless of the subject matter.

Thank you!

Hi Lewis,
Good comments about how to inspire your students. This part of teaching is both rewarding and needed to help students to acquire the success they want to have.
Gary

I think by keeping a positive outlook and upbeat personality if will rub off on the students or at least it makes for a great day of teaching. No one should ever bring their home problems with them because it will only cause a negative reaction in the student and all others around. Ward

inspiring students is sometimes the hardest thing to do ... inspiration can take them from being mediocre to being a master of their craft ,,,,,

Yes, I believe the instructor should assist in preparing the class for a positive environment. They should encourage the fact that no one should feel he or she is limited to excel in whatever is presented in their present course.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have found that if an instructor sets the bar high, the students will rise to meet it...if they are told that they can do it. In addition, when a student is doing well, I make sure to praise him or her. The reinforcement of a job well done can make a world of difference to a student who may not have had a lot of praise in his or her life.

Hi Kari,
Reinforcement is always welcome no matter what age we are. Someone that we respect giving us praise helps to motivate us to the next level. You are really doing a great service for your students by giving them your support and encouragement. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Sign In to comment