Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Response

The effectiveness of the eduational process is based on the result of how the teacher teaches and how the student learns. By acknowledging the learning style of each student, the instructor has the ability to deliver the material in a way that allows each student, regardless of learning style, to receive maximum understanding.

A very good response, Faye. How do you assess the learning styles of your students?

We administer a basic learning style assessment at Orientation and then include in the student's file where instructors and administration can view as needed.

A very good procedure - more schools should include this in their orientations.

I remember taking a learning style assessment in high school and thinking it would have been nice to know this earlier in life.

I agree and would add that one of the responsibilities of the instructor is to help the student identify their own learning style and to seek ways for them to help themselves. I teach accounting and often students approach it as a foreign language. My advice is to help them find a way to make it their own, whether they use a formula approach and visual cues or to create stories and personalize the various scenarios or to simply practice it until it becomes part of them, every student can find a way to make it their own.

I like that procedure, i will try to get it incorporated it here. We don't have record of what the orientation test shows, so most of the students jump on the "I learn by Hands On", bandwagon.

Sign In to comment