Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Excercise

i know its has helped me in the past to excercise after work or during lunch to eliminate my stress and to calm myself down so i am more productive.

Stress in my Workplace

I know its a common thing but in my workplace there is stress all around in 100 different forms and it never lets up.

making Oral presntations

I think it would benifit everyone to rehearse their oral presentations to a test subject to really see if its effective in the learning enviorment.

Using a Calender

I think a calender would be a handy guide to making the most of out time.

Angry Students? Problem Students? Why?

I feel that to disarm any possible problem or angry or silent students the best way is to involve every one from day one. Set the guidelines, objectives, policies, procedures and what ever else needs to be covered in your particular class, then ask for input on their opions. This usually gets them thinking with little or no response. Then half way into the course I ask them again to what thier ideas, feeling and thoughts are on the curriculum at this stage of the course. I get alot of input even from the silent students. I ask what can… >>>

Keeping all students focused on the class

You can take a class of any size and the students will fall into one type of group or another. You may have a couple that are center stage students, a few may have low attention spans, a couple could be ready to give up, or the excuse givers. All this, is what it is, and has been for as long as we have been teaching students. We as facilitators, teachers, motivators, role models need to bring all students together regardless of the class situation. It is up to us to set the bar , raise the standards, and get… >>>

Get students envolved early

Getting the students envolved early is key to grabbing thier attention, stirring up excitement in the course, and wanting to learn. Work in small segments, get their hands on material and components of the class projects and let them see, feel, and participate in activeities that they will be doing while in class. These interactive demostrations act a practice time that opens up lines of communications and questions that the whole class can participate in. This increases the excitement felt towards the course and its content.

Taking control of your time!

This module has reinforced in my mind the important concept of choice. Each day all of us in our individual daily lives are forced to make choices in regards to how we use time in the most efficient ways possible.This module has helped me to reconsider my own priorities and provided focus on the skills of time management in my life.

Unfocused Students

It seems the students right out of high schools are the students that just don't care. So now I assign them projects on training aids that in need repaired. I also help them and oversee that the job is done correctlly.

chilling out

I know some people think traffic is stress I use my 1 hour travel to first get my thoughts in line and start my day I use the travel back home to unwind if there is alot of traffic that's even better because I people watch that is my big stress relief

Meetings

sometimes it seems we have to have a meeting to go to the bathroom I will say that we usually have an agenda that helps it keeps us on track some of the things that meetings are called for pertains to a small group of individuals

The internet

how did we function without but more important is how did I learn to use it I'm older than 55 younger than 65 I wonder through the internet fairly efficiently not very fast but I usually find what I'm looking for the students on the other hand are very efficient therefore we need to use the computers as often as possible this will get them more proficient in computer useage and besides that being the type of school we are our work orders techinical manuals techinical bulletins warranties are all done on line along with training computers need to part… >>>

time management and to do list

on my way to work I drive an hour each way I think about my day and what I plan on accomplishing that day when I get to work I sit at my desk usually with my feet up relaxed and put my list together starting with my list from yesterday If I'm given a new project I always ask for a time frame and I remind of the priority list I already have and where this new project fits in I find good communication is a must for getting things done I also know how to delegate when my… >>>

Students who are content with receiving a lower grade

How do you motivate students who are content to receive a mediocre grade...simply because of attendance issues..... This can be very frustrating when you see the potential ...if only they applied themselves...

common mistakes

bringing home problems to class this is a difficult problem to deal with the damage this causes sometimes can not be undone just think of some of the things that go on at home and look at your students divorce money problems pregancies drugs when you enter into dialog with a student on any of these subjects it can get real nasty real fast

unfocused students

this will be an ongoing problem as long as we have schools what I see has to be done is put the pride to do well on the student if you make the student feel good about himself show a genuine interest in what he has and is acomplishing you would be surprised how focused these students will become

expectation and requirment

when giving the expectation and requirements make sure that the student understands all of the who why and how grade consistant and fairly answer questions frankly with as much detail as possible It seems to me that some instructors expect the student to know how to do tasks without demos and if they can do that then why are they in school don't get pulled into that frame of mind

Engage the student

I try to keep students motivated and moving even while lectures. If they start falling out, we will take a break and stretch or walk.

Gaining Respect/Authority

I am wonder how to go about regaining respect/authority once it begins to slip in the classroom.

Angry Student

One of the methods presented to me by a seasoned instructor is to pull the student into the hall away from everyone and say " I noticed that you seem to be having a hard day can i help you?"Then let the student talk. when he finishes give them a few seconds and then remind them that they can't disrupt the others in the room.If this fails the call the superviser and have them help with the situation