Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reducing Exam Anxiety

I let my students know, at the beginning of the term, that all exams come with a review before the test is actually given. I also tell them that if they show up for the review and study the notes from the review, they will likely pass with a very high score. This encourages attendance and reduces exam anxiety. Students will always ask what the exam will cover.

Exam reviews are definitely a great way to reduce student anxiety. They also help students focus on studying course content that is most relevant to their career, which can help them after graduation.

Are you really doing your students a favor with this review system? When was the last time your boss coddled you like that when you had an important task and/or project to complete. If students aren't forced to be prepared for the real world, they will probably not be as successful on the job. Then it will be harder for your school to place other graduates with this company.

I think the reviews are utilized to add to the studying process, not replace studying outside of class. I have students that have to recall the information learned in their classes to pass a written state board exam. The reviews help the students remember and retain the information. Students also get a chance to show their ability to be prepared for jobs in their practical applications (labs, clinical, etc.)

I believe that review sessions are necessary for reducing student stress. I also let my students know ahead of time what format the exam will be in, and I give them tips for studying for different types of questions. If I was going to give a big presentation or go to an annual review, I would definately have my own "study session" and I would try to find out what topics I should focus on before hand.

Sign In to comment