Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Geting students involed

I have my students work solo just becouse of nateure of what we teach It gives them a chance to see what its like in the shop.

Hi David,
In some instances, it is better for students to work alone. Do yo ever do any group projects? Group projects are great in some instances because students can learn from each other.
Patricia

Yes, they can. I have found that students who may not understand me or my examples will respond to other students. This works well on the college level too. I have taught for many years in middle and HS as well. I think that group work is a great tool to enhance learning and give those who may be a little confused a chance to hear and see the information from another perspective.

Even though most shop environments have individual assignments for their employees,the employees are still functioning as part of a team towards a common goal.Allowing for some group learning activities also strengthens the students' communications and social skills.These skills are going to be just as important in their future as their technical skills.Balance of the training activities is the key to obtaining success on all levels.The more comfortable the student is with the program,the more likely he/she is going to become involved in the process.

Hi Dennis,
Students tend to get involved whenver they are comfortable with the subject matter. Being uncomfortable with the subject matter can possibly result in loss of the student.
Patricia

i agree if you can make them comfortable in the class they will talk about any subject with any level of knowledge about it

Hi Mario,
Whenever you students become comfortable with you, they will tell you more than what you would ever want to know. It is important to be able to communicate with your students.
Patricia

I agree that communication is paramount in the instructor/student relationship. Like any relationship, communication can make or break it. With open communication comes trust and a willingness to share and become involved in the day-to-day class environment.

Hi Mary,
As educators we must be effective communicators. We need to converse with our students so that professional relationships are established.
Patricia

Sign In to comment