Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting the students to show up on time...

It seems to me that this generation of students are having a hard time and trouble getting to class on time, how could I stress to them that they have to be on time and not late...

Hi Scott,
We are dealing with a different generation, Generation Y is challenging! Simply reprimand the student for being tardy. Let the students know that no employer will tolerate tardiness. At my institution we mark tardies. The policy at my institution is that if a student has more than eight tardies, the student is withdrawn from the class. You need to suggest that your institution implement a tardy policy, we are preparing the students for the workplace.
Patricia

I don't think it's quite so simple. At the institution where I teach, many of our students are already working full time, while juggling the responsibilities of (often single) parenthood. Many times, these students really want to learn and to improve their earning potential, but they have difficulty getting to class exactly on time due to their several responsibilities. I think that we need to cut them some slack in this area, and concentrate more on their performance in class.

I agree that it is difficult for some studetns who have legitamite excuses to be late. FOr these students it seems that giving them an exception can be a blessing and a curse. Usually if the student has a history of academic succcess being late has little to no effect on their performance or ability to understand the material. Those that have poor excuses like car troubles every other wednseday 9 times out of ten are doomed to fail. I like to give studets the benefit of the doubt but I also create very strict attendance requirments so that if a certain amount of hours are missed the studenty must retake the course.

True a new generation is upon us but if we show up on time always and commit to them them on the first day to the last day, with our actions it is far easier to expect that of them and have their peers expect it as well.laying out the rules and guidelines day one is the key to the success of this method.

Absolutley. The need for very specific guidelines for the studetns from day one is essential. Unfortunately it seems though that unless the students are regularily reminded of the policies they constantly push the boundaries. Many instructors note how many minutes late students are and this counts against their grade. Perhaps 1-2 grade/performance reviews during the class would help to remind studetns of the policy and make them aware that their actions are effecting their grades.

Steve the other thing that is keeping them from getting class on time are their employes because they know that they have to get to school but they still make them stay to do one more job ,lots of time it is not the students fault but the employ fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for us here... most students feel that what we are sharing with them, as far as being on time, is made up. I have students who regularly tell that their boss now or their future boss does not or will not care... I am at a lose as t what to tell them.

Every decision made is done by comparing the benefits received to the costs associated. Compare the classroom to a movie with a great plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat – you don’t want to miss a minute. Punitive responses to tardiness can have little effect if the movie isn’t enjoyable. If we focus on the benefits we will have less tardiness.

Hi William,
We always want to get our money's worth no matter if the item is tangible or untangible. I love the analogy you have made. Continue to give your students their money's worth.
Patricia

At my institution, we've tried giving pop-exams at the beginning of class for incentive. It's worked somewhat... except that at certain time, students will arrive late because of local traffic conditions. I haven't found a solution that works for everyone yet.

Hi Tim,
We've tried the pop quizzes as well, and for the most part, they work. We have also implemented an attendance and participation grade in every course, along with allowing the students to be exempt from the final exam if they have an "A" average and perfect attendance. Students REALLY work hard on being exempt.
Patricia

I agree that the pop quizzes don't work in all cases. I have a regularly scheduled quiz the first class of the week or the first of the class if it only meets once a week. They lose points if they come in late because they have to pick up wherever I am.

I like the idea of earning an "exemption" for perfect attendance with the "A" average. I am not sure my institution would be amenable to that.
Melanie

Hello Melanie,
I also do mini quizzes at the beginning of class to encourage students to get to class on time. The quiz lasts for five minutes, and it can not be made up. I've seen where this has made a big difference in a lot of students' punctuality.
Patricia

True, we are dealing with a different generation but the rules are still the same in the field. Your employer schedules you to arrive at work at a certain time because that is when you are needed most to handle the expected work load. If you continually show up late, the days schedule is off. An employer will only put up with that for so long before he finds a replacement for you. I stress this to my students. I will not accept traffic as a reason. In Southern California we leave early for our destination in anticipation of heavy traffic. A tardy is considered a 4% ding in professionalism in our institution. 8 tardies will result in a failed grade. If a student knows there may be a chance he will be late because he works, he may fill out a form verified & signed by his employer that allows a grace of 30 min. per day. I will deduct the time up to a max. of 12 hrs out of a course but professionalism will not be affected. Any time a student is over 6 hrs out of a course, he signs an official document of that fact to be kept in our records.

Hi Dave,
I like your policies on tardiness. I am a stickler for punctuality because you're right, habitual lateness will not be tolerated in the workplace. You've made some great points!

I have also used pop quizzes with some degree of success. One reward that I have had the most success with is assigning a research paper, setting it all out in the syllabus, and then adding a statement that anyone with no more than one absence is exempt from the paper submission. I also put in the syllabus that, for this reward, three tardies count as an absence. I also stress that the statement says "absence," not "unexcused absence" because and absence is an absence not matter what the reason.

Hi Dayton,
What an awesome incentive. I do something similar for the final exam. If a student has both and "A" average and perfect attendance or an "A" average and all of their time made up they can be exempt from the final exam. These incentives that you and I are doing are super ways to encourage exemplary attendance.
Patricia

I feel that setting the standard is definitely one way to implement that tardiness is not acceptable but i also would agree that since the students have made a commitment they should keep up with that commitment and take responsibility and be to class on time this will i further concur not hold up on the job or extern and though it may seem a trivial thing not as important as some other topics brought up i feel it is a very serious topic that could ultimately make or break a students success of obtaining a job in the future!

Hi Allison,
It will certainly make a difference in a student keeping a job. Punctuality is extremely important in the workplace.
Patricia

Sign In to comment