Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grading student work

I also have students grade each others work (in classes where it is appropriate). The students not only check paper projects but the electronic files as well. This makes it easier for me as I don't have to open all the electronic files and check those too. This is good for reviewing.

I was having students grade each others exams, but some students complained because they were embarrassed that other people could see their low scores, so I had to abandon that. I am using McGraw-Hill textbooks and am looking into their EZTest software. I've worked with ExamView before and it's fantastic!

Lastly, students can also grade their own homework - I have them type the questions and answers from the end of the chapter quizzes and print them out. Then they grade with a pen or pencil. They can't change typed answers!

Hi Rene! Excellent idea about having students grade their printed work with a pen or pencil; as a learning activity, I have often had students when grading their work (for extra points) not only make corrections, but write a brief description as to why the corrected answer is right and even sometimes explain why they originally chose their answers. I have often found that they followed a logical thinking process and may have interpreted something differently (though this is less likely with some direct terms, concepts and applications).

Jay Hollowell
MaxKnowledge

Thanks for sharing Rene! I particularly like the idea of students grading their own typed work. What a great way to ensure grading accuracy while also providing a good learning experience.

What an interesting approach Jay. It’s a great way to ensure accuracy in grading and to ensure that test questions truly tap how much our students know.

This is a real neat idea. (not to mention a great time saver)

I agree, your method will save time and that's what we(instructors) need.

Sign In to comment