Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

angry students

I have found that most angry students are not angry with me or the class it's outside influences. I take them off to the side and find out what is wrong by talking to them on a one to one basis and then try to get them the help that they need.

Hi Choppy,
Our students have a lot of personal problems that they bring into the classroom. Those personal problems cause some students to have terrible attitudes. A lot of our students do not know how to make the separation of leaving their personal problems at home so that they can focus on school.
Patricia

True, we can let them know also that they are not alone. We all face difficult times and issues but we have to move forward. This is the way to make all of the struggles worthwhile to achieve our gaols and get to where we want to be in life.

Cheryl

Hello Cheryl,
Invariably, someone else is having a similar problem or have had a similar problem and overcame the challenge. It is important to let the angry student know that he or she is not alone. I make it known that we all face challenges in life, and as long as we live, we will continue to have challenges. You must continue to press forward.
Patricia

YES CHOPPY,COULD NOT AGREE MORE,IT USUALLY IS OUTSIDE CIRCUMSTANCES THAT CAUSE STUDENTS TO BEHAVE A CERTAIN WAY.TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIER LIVES OUTSIDE OF CLASS AND SEE IF YOU CAN HELP.

Hi Bruce,

It is amazing how outside sources affect our students in the education setting. We have a student assistance program that help students with any type of life challenges.
Patricia

I must agree, most of the time if students come to class with this issue it was developed outside your classroom. A student may be angry at the school or an incident around admissions, financial aid, student housing, etc but now they are in your class and you represent the school. You must take the student aside and ask them if you could help them with their problem. You must show that student that if there is a problem within the school that a representative (you) are interested and will steer it towards the people that hopefully can remedy this situation. If the anger is from a source outside the school hopefully there will a direction where you can point the student for assistance.

I agree with you. I have found that the anger comes from outside the school and they feel isolated and distracted from class.

I agree with that. I try to talk to them about there problem and let them know that there not alone and try to gide them in the right place to get help.

Hello Donald,
Sometimes that is all we can do with an angry student is to give them guidance and let them know that we do care about their welfare.
Patricia

I try to listen to the students and show them that I care. Most of the students are away from home for the first time and have no support or anyone to talk to. This leads to them taking out their anger on the first person who corrects them for something even if they have nothing to do with their problem. If you show them you care they will open up and become productive in the class.

Hi Mark,
My favorite motto is, "a student doesn't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." Continue to be caring.
Patricia

This is a good way to handle angry students if they display this behavior, but if a student just sits and broods it might be hard to get through to him. I think I would notify his other teachers he/she is displaying this kind of behavior and to have all of his teachers to watch this student. There will be one teacher that the student has a rapport with and maybe he/she will talk with them.
Joshula

Hi Joshula,
It is amazing how students behavior can be different in instructors classroom. I have had students that were "Angels" in my classroom and "Devils" in other instructors classroom. Rapport is key, and also let your students know from Day 1 you are not going to tolerate nonsense.
Patricia

Not only not alone and that we are willing to listen but also weaving life skills into our courses that help them deal with difficult situations and increases their decision making abilities. Some students do not know how to approach difficulty thinking panic and anger before rational thought. As educators we need to give them approaches to problem solving as well as the content of the course.

Hi Christina,
I can attest that some of our students have very poor problem solving skills. We have to guide our students as much as possible to think on their own.
Patricia

Sign In to comment