Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

fear of a new subject

I found that students don't like what they don't know, once they learn the subject their fear of that subject is gone. Typical response at the end of the course is "That wasn't so bad"

Hi Choppy,
You're right, it is human nature to fear the unknown! They make the comment "That wasn't so bad" because they SUCCESSFULLY completed it.
Patricia

SO TRUE ABOUT THE STATEMNT"THAT WAS NOT SO BAD" FOR SOME REASON A STUDENT MAY COME TO CLASS THINKING THEY ARE GOING TO DO POORLY. TRY AND CHANGE THAT MINDSET,PART OF OUR JOB AS INSTRUCTORS IS TO BUILD SELF CONFIDENCE/SELF ESTEEM.

Hi Bruce,
Every day we have to continue to work to build self confidence/self esteem. I've had students to tell me I have more confidence in them than they have in themselves.
Patricia

this goes along with the saying never judge a book by its cover. do not judge if you will be good at something untill you understand what the subject is about

Hi Patricia,
I have had several students that have told me that I have more confidence in them they do in themselves. I just tell them that I am very confident that they can do the lab they are tring to do and feel they will not fail at it. I always tell them to give it a try, they may surprise themselves, or if they still seem to have some trouble I am here to lead them though it, not do it for them but lead them in the right direction to achieve the task.

Hi Patricia,
I have had several students that have told me that I have more confidence in them they do in themselves. I just tell them that I am very confident that they can do the lab they are tring to do and feel they will not fail at it. I always tell them to give it a try, they may surprise themselves, or if they still seem to have some trouble I am here to lead them though it, not do it for them but lead them in the right direction to achieve the task.

choppy you are so correct a little pat on the back goes a long way

Every day in lab I see fear in the students eyes because they have never done what they are about to do. I cant change that but I can arm them with knowledge it take to do the job and at the end of the day you can see the relief because they can.

INSTRUCTORS job IS TO BUILD SELF CONFIDENCE/SELF ESTEEM.

It truely is amazing to see what positive reinforcment can do for a students self esteem. Building up there confidence will always help them to make the correct decisions.

Hi Chad,
We are our students biggest cheerleaders. We must continue to motivate and encourage them. Keep up the good work.
Patricia

I find many of our students don't have positive reinforcement at home and any that you can give them is eaten up. Many have not been challenged or pushed and even small acomplishments that many would not think twice about are huge to them. The thing is remembering that this was a big deal to a kid.

Hi Owen,
Beautifully stated! I believe in being my students biggest cheerleader. You are right, a lot of students are not from positive home environments. Continue to cheer your students on!!
Patricia

So many students come into accounting with a basic fear that their math skills are not up to par. It is amazing to watch their faces as I explain that advanced math skills are not directly correlated to accounting skills. I give examples of people who have come into the class with the same fears and have been successful in completing the class. The one thing that I stress is that it is necessary to come to class, and complete the work assigned on a timely basis. This will assure success in attaining the skills relating to the new subject.

So many students come into accounting with a basic fear that their math skills are not up to par. It is amazing to watch their faces as I explain that advanced math skills are not directly correlated to accounting skills. I give examples of people who have come into the class with the same fears and have been successful in completing the class. The one thing that I stress is that it is necessary to come to class, and complete the work assigned on a timely basis. This will assure success in attaining the skills relating to the new subject.

Hi Linda,
You sound like an accounting guru. I use the same speil with my students. Students naturally think that if they are poor in math that they are not going to be good in accounting. It amazes them whenever they do understand. You are right in order to grasp accounting you must attend class.
Patricia

Just tell the students, just try it, you will like it. Do not worry if its not perfect. Just do it.

Hi Devon,
Great encouraging words! You made me want to try it....
Patricia

Sign In to comment