Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Immediacy

I get caught up in the trying to provide speedy customer service. I need to slow down and remember speed does not always equate to GOOD! Any thoughts?

Stress tools that help the individual.

The Stress SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats)tool focused on helping you to understand your unique strengths and weaknesses in the way you manage stress. It also helps you to identify the resources you have available to you, and points out the consequences of managing stress poorly. It is a powerful technique for understanding your Strengths and Weaknesses, and for looking at the Opportunities and Threats you face. I see it as a way to organize your list of stress factors. This tool can be found on the internet.

Essay exams and jeopardy style

Instead of having essay exams I do jeopardy with team participation. The students enjoy the competition. It forces them to organize their thoughts and present the appropriate question. Many of them have said they have been able to put together concepts and system functions much better.Each team of 5 students (6 topics)has a set area to come up with the answers and the other teams take turns answering the the question. I enjoy it because the students ask much harder questions.

Teacher procrastination versus Student procrastination

If the teacher procrastinates with grading and returning calls, students complain.Hopfully the teacher improves in these areas. The side of procrastination that really concerns me is Student proscrantination. Many of them put off doing what they know is a priority because of demands that are driven by others despite the unpleasant outcomes this may bring. Does chronic procrastinators stop themselves from achieving things they're capable of and fall short on career goals?

The consistency of stress

I find that stress comes in waves. Then, somehow, you manage to resolve all the issues, and for a time there is very little stress. Then it comes again. Being able to prepare other parts of your life ahead of time seem to help offset the degree to which the stress has an impact. I find it I make a timeline for a project, I'm not only able to see the linear steps required to accomplish it, I can also see (to some degree) the "stress points" that will come along at certain points. If I can identify these, then… >>>

Time consumption with online exams

Using technology such as online exams tends to be a much more involved process then many teachers first suspect. Often I find you're having to deal with some technical issue (student unable to log in to take a timed exam, preventing students from accessing the Internet to find answers, etc.) that it's almost as much effort as copying up the exams on paper and marking them. Hopefully as this type of technology is refined, this method of examination will become much easier to fascilitate in the classroom.

Family pressure for success

The biggest stress factor is making ends meet for my families financial well being. The job stress is normal and it is relatively easy for me to keep things running smoothly. But sometimes the financial salary of being a teacher just doesn't add up. We find ourselves considering other professional optons, and wonder if they will meet with family approval. We also worry about the future job security etc...fine arts teachers such as myself seeing programs being folded. Society and criteria for success dictate my stress level. The family comes first and monitary reward is paramount. The goal is to… >>>

Depending entirely on the scantron machine

Most of the methods discussed in this module I have used in my teaching/grading procedures. I find that with very large classroom enrollment, the essay exam method is not going to work for me. Almost all my quiz/tests are given on a scantron sheet. I have found that I've procrastinated in grading these simply because the machine in the main office is broken (more often than not). Next thing I know I have a huge pile...and unfortunately sometimes I have to do it the long way...by hand with a key or punched out scoring sheet. I have decided to make… >>>

Somewhere inbetween immediacy and procrastination

It seems I live my life somewhere inbetween immediacy and procrastination. And to be honest, it's working. I don't think its a good idea to lean to heavily to either side. Sometimes we procrasinate when confronted with tasks we really don't want to do, while immediately doing those things we don't mind doing. I figure if we get those things done right away that we don't mind doing, we then have more time to confront those issues that we've procrastinated about. Either way, we need to get our job done...hopefully to be able to sleep at night without stress and… >>>

Coping with Stress

Think about the stressors in your life that cannot be eliminated or reduced. Based on what you have learned in this module about healthy coping mechanisms, what will you do in the future to cope with these stressors?

Coping with Stress

Think about the stressors in your life that cannot be eliminated or reduced. Based on what you have learned in this module about healthy coping mechanisms, what will you do in the future to cope with these stressors?

Coping with Stress

Coping with Stress

Causes of Stress

What are some general areas that you can identify as major stressors in your life/career? Are these stressors based upon logistical (organizational) factors, student needs, or college requirements? Develop a list of your stressors within these general categories or create additional categories based upon your personal needs.

Causes of Stress

What are some general areas that you can identify as major stressors in your life/career? Are these stressors based upon logistical (organizational) factors, student needs, or college requirements? Develop a list of your stressors within these general categories or create additional categories based upon your personal needs.

Causes of Stress

Streamlining the Grading Process

Think about the current format of your exams and homework assignments and how much time it takes for you to grade them. Based on what you have learned in this module, how will you format your exams and homework assignments differently in the future?

Think about the current format of your exams and homework assignments and how much time it takes for you to grade them. Based on what you have learned in this module, how will you format your exams and homework assignments differently in the future?

Task Prioritization

Think about the tasks that are most important and urgent for you to complete. Do you usually choose to accomplish these tasks right away or do you tend to put these tasks off for another time? Based on what you have learned in this module about task prioritization, will you change the order in which you accomplish important and urgent tasks in the future?