Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

An on-again-off-again stress

I have a nice group of students who come to class all the time, study, do what they're told, etc. They are an older group of displaced workers. The problem is that they complain CONSTANTLY. I bend over backwards to make sure that everyone knows what is going on, that everyone is with me in class (we do a lot of exercises together - it's Access and Excel 2007), but still they complain. They have another teacher who goes over the tests before the take them (answers and all) and they think that I should be doing the same, so they can all get As. To me, an A is excellent work. Just because they come to class, study and do work doesn't mean that it's excellent. Sometimes I can live with their complaining or it isn't too bad, but sometimes it really gets to me and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. I emailed my aunt who is also a teacher and she gave me some suggestions that I will try. If anyone has any more I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

I’m glad you raised this question Rene because I think that student complains can make life as a professor very stressful. When our fellow faculty members set unreasonable expectations, like reviewing test answers with our student prior to testing, this makes listening to these complaints particularly difficult.

One way that I’ve dealt with complains relating to unrealistic testing expectations is to remind my students why they are taking my course. For many students, especially adult learners, it’s not about earning an A. It’s about gaining a life skill. What’s truly most important is not the grade at all. Grades are only measures of the skills they’ve learned – the things of value that they will take away. Importantly, faculty members are only reporters of these grades. In other words, faculty members don’t give grades. Students earn grades. When students understand this, it can help put things into perspective.

As a supervisor, I find the different "personalities" of the classes an adventure - sometimes even entertaining. One class finds the material clear and fun; another section the same term "is confused",the teacher unfair (and it is the same teacher). I have tracked time of day and other things that might actually make the faculty delivery different but not pattern defined in my years doing it. pat j

Sign In to comment