Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Procrastination

Everyone of us procrastinate one time or another, but some of us take it to an extreme. I have seen where students procrastinate to that point of where they think that, whatever it is that they need to do will just take care of itself. What would you say to some of those people? I would tell them that it not a good habit to put off whhat you can today and do it tomorrow, because sometime you can create more problems that way.

Social and Team Building Activities

Are there any publications that would help an instructor with planning some team building activities?

Getting students to not procrastinate turning in assignments

I teach a medical transcription class. The students and I go over the syllabus together on the first day of term. I explain in detail what the course consists of, and what is expected. I make sure that they understand the number of reports to be turned in and when. They seem to lose any memory of this within 2 weeks! How can I get them to remember? A very few have no trouble turning in all work on time. At the last minute I will receive badly done reports and thery wonder why they get a low grade. This… >>>

Accounting and Bookkeeping

What type of activities for first day can be done with my students. We don't really have any things to show around a play with. Please help!

Self imposed stress

I believe many times we impose stress upon ourselves that can be avoided. Sometimes our own high performance expectations can go unmet and when reflected on cause stress. It is important I believe to make sure that we do not expect too much from ourselves in our changing environment and to be realistic about what can be accomplished.

Essay type questions

I have found that when I ask essay type questions I can usually scan the information written for key words or phrases. If I do not see them in a particular answer that leads me to read the answer more carefully and guide the student effectively.

To Do List & Outlook

I have found that if the productivity software Outlook is used it can be of great benefit for to do lists by using the tasks and calendar.

Email Correspondence

Has anyone tried using a designated time for answereing emails? If so, have you ever had complaints about a delayed response or have you ever missed a time sensitive important announcement?

no make up rule

I have a "no make up rule" or "late" rule the day of the exam. I clearly explain this at the begining of the class. The students clearly understand. I have the highest attendance rate on those days. The only exception is that if they tell me ahead of time, they may take it the day before, after school, or if it is an issue like they go home sick, but I have seen them that day. They may take it the nexy day. If their child is sick and they call and leave a message, I let them come… >>>

stress

Stress is a big part of our every day lives. Being an instructor for many years, I feel my stress level is much less tha when I started this journey. 1. I am confident and well prepared in whatever I teach. 2. I put the objectives up every day for each class. 3. I lecture, review the topic and then I do reinforcement exercises. I also give the students their review sheets one week before an exam. They respond well to this and 80% of my class score 90 or above. Organization and keeping on top of your daily work… >>>

Making a To Do List & Procrastination

In making To Do Lists I find myself procrastinating about what I have on my list and then sometimes I lose the list. Has anyone else had this happen to them and what have you done that has helped to overcome this problem to better prepare you for your class?

stress & tests

We have an instructor who has a policy of no make-up tests. However, she takes the best 2 out of 3 grades. That way if a student misses an exam, there is no consequence.

faster grading

One of my instructors says he will not give essay tests in the future. He will rely on multiple choice and true and false.

Immediacy

My students are always my priority. I feel that I fail them if I do not promptly grade their papers or answer their e-mails or phone calls. I am a role model for them. If I don't care about the class why should they? Am I wrong?

no time to unwind or rejuvenate?

Our school has three semesters per year and typically the staff has two to three days off between semesters. Any suggestions on how we can cope with the stress of wrapping up one semester and preparing for the next in such a short time?

student performance v. administration expectations

How do we reconcile expectations of our administration, such as every student will pass the course, with classes comprised of low performing students? I feel stressed with the large gap between successful, high-performing students, and those who are unable to pass the exams.

The things we can't control

I found this to be so true. The things that I cannot control are the things that give me the most stress. For instance, if you've ever had a student bully you, but the school won't let you tell him or her to stop, it can really put a strain on your well-being. If it weren't for situations like that, I think I would be relatively stree-free. I just wish there was something that could be done.

Scenario - Instructor in need of suggestions

I have a student whom I shall name “Jane Doe”, she is approximately 50 years old; she is the only white female in the classroom (the others are comprised of 1 African Male and the rest African females and I am Latino). But she possesses the ability to become a good paralegal. Jane is always two steps ahead of the rest of the class and likes to assist the other students during lecture and during computer class time. The plus side is she can alleviate some of the directions I can be pulled into but more often than not she… >>>

Oral Presentations

At the end of each module, I require students to conduct a 10 minute speech with outlines, presentation materials and a question and anwer session in order to demonstrate their understanding of the material that was presented during that module. This is an effective time management tool because I can evaulate them at the time that they are giving the presentation and there is nothing for me to take home to grade. Also, this allows students who have a hard time writing what they understand to show me orally that they really do comprehend the material. It also boosts their… >>>

Underling Topics in Essay Exams

I understand in theory that this is a good method. However, in my own experience I do not think that this is practical because the students might not underline the right words, and I may overlook an answer that is right and incorrectly mark it wrong. This method could end up costing me more time correcting the essays in the long run.