Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would like to have a hammock at work.

Seriously. Why not? Maybe we should try the Google Model.

Why not indeed. If your office is large enough, a hammock sounds like a great way to create a reduced stress environment. It’s so important to take breaks during the day. Many people forget to do this. A hammock could be a good reminder.

I am a full time teacher which causes me to have a day where I work 14 hours (morning class & evening class) Since I can't go home, I sometimes take a nap at my desk or in my car. Sounds crazy, but it helps me feel refreshed for the evening class.

Billisha, I actually know several faculty members who do the same thing. You are not alone.

Not to long back, I read an article on a well known and prolific film director who’s directed over 70 films. One question the interviewer asked was what had changed since his first film experience. His answer was the ability to catnap during long filming schedules.

He mentioned that early in his career, the long hours -- with very little sleep had led to heavy stress but he felt guilty about taking 5 or 10 minutes naps even when he wasn’t needed on the set. He said overcoming this was one the best things he ever learnt to do.

A hammock sounds like an excellent idea, may be a bit hard to get out of though!

Great story Jon! And so true. Note that you don't need a hammock to take a power nap during the day.

It's funny, from time to time I joke with co-workers and students about missing "nap time" in Kindergarten... Joke aside, it does the trick. On tough days, going to my car on a break to take 10-15 minutes with news radio and a snack seems to help realign.

Thanks for sharing Damon. If you park in a safe parking lot, your car can actually be a great retreat. This is especially true for people who feel like they don't have enough personal space at work.

I keep a pillow and travel alarm clock in my car for when I have a 14 hr class day. I'll catnap in between teaching sessions!

Wow, that sounds like an excellent system Robert. I wouldn't have thought of the alarm clock but nice touch!

Shutting down for even a short time can relieve much of the stress that can build up during a long day. A hammock or couch in a quiet location is a great way to relax and refresh to be ready for the next assignment. I also find that reading for pleasure during breaks or at mealtimes lowers my stress level.

Sign In to comment