Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

What if my boss grades my performance on how tidy my workspace is?

I am a messy worker, who is extremely goal-oriented, should I constantly be discouraged by the lack of respect for my space when my superiors question my ability based on it?

unfocused students

keep reminding them of why they are there, what the goals are and keep them interested in the goals they want to attain.

fear of a new subject

I found that students don't like what they don't know, once they learn the subject their fear of that subject is gone. Typical response at the end of the course is "That wasn't so bad"

How do you motivate unfocused students when you replace an instructor?

I have replaced an Instructor who created a very difficult learning environment for my students and because of this I have some very unfocused students. How do I engage these students who have given up on this learning environment?

An on-again-off-again stress

I have a nice group of students who come to class all the time, study, do what they're told, etc. They are an older group of displaced workers. The problem is that they complain CONSTANTLY. I bend over backwards to make sure that everyone knows what is going on, that everyone is with me in class (we do a lot of exercises together - it's Access and Excel 2007), but still they complain. They have another teacher who goes over the tests before the take them (answers and all) and they think that I should be doing the same, so… >>>

Grading student work

I also have students grade each others work (in classes where it is appropriate). The students not only check paper projects but the electronic files as well. This makes it easier for me as I don't have to open all the electronic files and check those too. This is good for reviewing. I was having students grade each others exams, but some students complained because they were embarrassed that other people could see their low scores, so I had to abandon that. I am using McGraw-Hill textbooks and am looking into their EZTest software. I've worked with ExamView before and… >>>

coping with stress

Do an activity you enjoy..... I get out and take long ride on my motorcycle, It seems to "blow" all the stress away. :)

stress.............

I just try not to let anything get to me, If something does I don't let it transfer between home and work

graded quizes

all of our quizes are multiple choice with a answer key it makes grading a breeze

Time Management

As an instructor you must manage your time wisely as in my case constantly working 12 hour days teaching two classes, if i fall behind it is unbearibly hard to catch up

Try not to be a " Common Teacher"

In trying not to be a common teacher if think you can side step some common mistakes. Think outside of the box, try ,if possible to sit in on a course prior to teaching it, see it how the students see it. Have interaction with students, have them help in the curriculum, instead of being taught to. Always get before, during and ending thoughts from your class to see how a course progresses, this is key to making adjustments, to help you help your students.

To Do List

I have always enjoyed making to-do lists and instead of looking on it as a burden..I kind of make it a fun game to see how many tasks I can do in a day . It really helps prioritize my life not just in teaching but in setting personal goals as well.

Excercise AT Work!!!

My faculty and I have started a new fitness at lunch program that has done wonders for stress overall.During our lunch break we all hit our gym we installed in he teacher lounge and I cant tell you enough how this is making a positive change . Lets hope we can keep it up!!

Self Imposed Stress

I have found that my own self imposed stress came about because my high expectations from my family more than the actual school I teach at . I am learning slowly though to filter out the negative and focus on the positive things in teaching I have going for me and I am much better now because of it.

Better Grading Process

I think its a great idea to have students participate in the grading process because we as teachers have enough work to do so why not turn the tables in our favor while helping students retain information much faster while helping us at the same time..BRAVO !!

Immediacy

I used to use this frequently . I dont know why I was wired this way .I believe it stems somewhere from my Dads issues with being late . Once I discovered this I changed my behavior to try the "new " me and it really relieved my everyday stress and I found I enjoyed the process of teaching much more.

Positive Benifits of excercise

Yes I too have tried excercise to rid of stress and let me tell you...it works.I dont know the science behind it but I do interact with everyone much more in a positive outlook and when things go wrong..I can deal with it easily and find solutions much faster.

Stress and Health

I knew a co-worker that had a major heart attack from stress in his life and not just teaching . I do believe that had he used the principles derived in this course in management that he might still be with us.

Online disscussion groups

Wow...what a great idea ! I think that would open up so many positive thinking doors in the fact that student can share their ideas and thoughts with teachers and come together as one unified group .

Control over time

Well , I believe that we all control everything in our lives including our schedules and how we manage our time .It took me years teaching to finally figure out my own system but it is really true .