Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you motivate unfocused students when you replace an instructor?

I have replaced an Instructor who created a very difficult learning environment for my students and because of this I have some very unfocused students. How do I engage these students who have given up on this learning environment?

Hi Linda,
The following are the things you must share with your students:
Your knowledge
Your preparedness
Your professionalism
Your caring attitude
Your respect to them as their instructor
Also, try to gain your students' trust ASAP. As soon as your students realize you know your stuff, you will win them over, and they will regain focus.
Patricia

I have the opposite problem. Our students generally follow a series of three courses, and although the school management tries to keep the same instructor for all three classes, sometimes this is not possible. Replacing an instructor to whom the students have become habituated and attached is difficult! Initially, I am always challenged in these situations by some students who are resistant to a new instructor with a different teaching style. They either learn to accept me or transfer to another class, but changing instructors midstream is always bumpy!

Hi Charlot,
It is extremely challenging to replace an instructor to whom the students have become habituated and attached. I've mentioned to many students, you must learn how to adapt to different teaching styles, personalities, etc. I dislike very much when an instructor has to be replaced before the grading period ends--it does become very bumpy!
Patricia

This has happened to myself on a few occassions and have found if you go back to the beginning of the course and do a snapshot of what was in that portion you were not involved in and use alot of personal experiences you can very often reel them back in and into converstaions i also like to ask the students what types of vehicle repairs they have done recently that pertain to this course and what short cuts or problems they found while doing the project, this also shows you care what they are doing and it isn't all about your story time.

Hi George.
Good point! I also would like to add, tell the students you are very knowledgabe in the area, and then prove it to the students with your great instructions. Within a class period, you can remotivate the students. I've seen this happen.
Patricia

I tell them a little bit of my backround and my expectations from them.I ask them what they have gone over so far and try to reel them in ASAP.

We run into this problem as well and the only way we have been able to combat the situation is by making instructor rotation the rule instead of the exception. Once studetns are use to not having the same instructor for the whoile course they seem to deal with it much better. The instructors are less than optomistic about it at first but they too develop ways to make the transition go smoothly.

Hello Ted,
This is another WOW for me. Rotating instructors during a course seems like it could be tough for the students, but I can understand the positives of it as well. This is definitely something for me to think about as being an administrator.
Patricia

I have had this experience several times. One time I was transferred to a higher level course due to scheduling issues. The instructor took over at mid-term, established his policies and his direction. The students had a terrible time.
Another time I cohort was transferred into my class. I attempted to remain within the scope of the prior instructor’s goals, but whenever there was the slightest deviation from the original instructor’s goals it became very bumpy.
Recently I took over 3 sections from an instructor that left to take a job in the industry. I used his goals precisely. It was the smoothest transition that I had of the 5 experiences.
Focused students or unfocused, the transition from one instructor to another in the middle of a course is challenging and all too often bumpy.

Hi Frank,
I too have had challenges such as these. These transitions are normally tough, but what I have learned you have to walk in and act like you are the guru in the particular subject area and share your rules on the VERY first day you take over. You also need to make sure you are firm and fair. I generally like to try to do things as the instructor has done, if I feel as though those things are in the best interest of the students. Ocassionally, I have come up with my own rules. Yes, it can be challenging, but you can get through it. I've had my share.
Patricia

Acknowledge the issues and concerns created prior to you taking over the course. Clearly state your expectations for the course and from each student. Engage the students in the learning process and have them identify what they want to get out of the course. Relate the material to be covered directly to goals they wish to obtain. Assign specific activities and responsibilities to the students you have identified as having given up, and provide them with praise when they accomplish the task. Giving them ownership often accomplishes the task of getting them involved again.

Hi Pamela,
Walk in with great enthusiasm and confidence. Also ensure the students you have their best interest at heart. Simply, let the students know you are there for them.
Patricia

Sign In to comment