Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Personal Evolution and Analysis Aids Instruction

I have been teaching for almost 15 years and each new class represents a new challenge (and opportunity) for me. When I was a new teacher, I was very afraid and not very comfortable in front of my students. Now I feel as if I am on stage in front of big classes .... and at the dinner table with my smaller classes. I am more comfortable with my students and in a classroom than I am outside of the classroom. I love my students and teaching is my passion! As I evolved personally, I found that my teaching also… >>>

Making course content interesting

Our ability to enhance the learning experience is extremely beneficial to students and instructor. Simply put changing things up every now and then, use of props, etc.

Who does a quiz actually grade

OK I may be old fashioned on this but if you have a group f students and they all fail an exam it is not their fault but yours. I look at quizzes as a measuring device for me more than for the students. If the majority of the students failed the quiz then i have let them down by not educating them in a way that they understand. So i need to regroup and rethinh the way i covered the material not the exam. Just my thoughts

power point

I beleve that the powerpoint is a great tool for instruction but I do not believe that someone who has no knowlage of the subject can come in to a classroom and be able to instruct the class from a pp because you need to be able to magnify the pp and understand what is being said!

Prepairing yourself

Hi Guys, I have found being completely prepaired for the first and every other day of class to be very important. We need to set a example of how our students need to come to class, prepaired! What better model than an instructer who comes to class relaxed and well organised! Remember the first day sets the "tone" for the remander of the corse. I am planning to prepair my next class sylibus on HD orange, I bet that will get the students attention! Koodos to this section!

Level of competency and experience

When we run into the situation where the class in general does not have the desired schooling or practical app what to do. Is it good to lower the class to their level thus leaving out the ones who are already there. NO Is it good to leave the level where you are so that the ones who are grasping it do not get bored. MAYBE What about this find a way to do both one way could be to have the ones who grasp the knowledge become kind of student helpers. Use their experience and knowledge to your benefit… >>>

Knowing the subject being taught

It seems we focus more and more on media types and such so that it would seem that anyone could walk in and use a PP and teach a class using a handout. This is ok but I feel that the instructor should know the subject before trying to educate someone who does not know it. My preferred for of media is the whiteboard, why you ask because it is easier to format the presentation to the learning types in the classroom so therefore it works for me.

A clear mind

If possible it would be a good thing if you could leave your personal troubles outside the classroom. This could interfere on how you would normally conduct your class.

Being Yourself

As a new instructor years ago I tried to be just like my Mentor. Needless to say it didn't work. Even though he was an outstanding instructor, his style didn't fit my personality and it showed in the effectiveness of my product. It's great to observe other instructors and "steal" good ideas but you have to find out how to make it fit your style.

Being an Effective Instructor ?

I often ask myself what traits do you have that allow you to be successful at what you do. I am a Dead Poets-Drill Seargant style instructor. Now how does this either A help or B hinder the learning of my students. Very easy you have to know what style to use on what day and hour and even minute that the students are in your classroom. By combining the 2 styles I have become effective at what I do most students respond well but then again it is a subject that I LOVE wow that must be the key… >>>

When instructor are traning students they are

Helping to develop specific skills

Field Trips

I feel that field trips are important because they allow students to connect what they are learning to real world experiences. They also allow students to engage in more meaning class discussions.

Setting up a proper test

When creating a test or quiz, I find it important to always ask myself if the questions are relevant. By asking, "is this important", this helps me to create a test that is meaningful and valuable.

Pre-testing

During the first class, students are pre-tested. This gives me, the instructor, an indication of who can successfully complete this class and who will need extra help in completing this class.

PowerPoint Presentations and pre-printing the materials

I create the Powerpoint presentations for my classes. I print the slides out (3 to a page) and give them to the students before class. This way, students aren't "copying" the slides and are taking notes based upon my lectures.

grading system

i think consistency should be a priorty to a teacher's grading system. i treat all my students the same and all are on an even kiel. that is to say i'm consistent and let them know that everyone has the same opportunity to learn their tasks at hand and earn the marks they deserve. i don't pass or fail, they do.

media choices

media choices are important so the student has the opportunity learn at their speed. if i choose to use the overhead projector the student sees the material and hears as well. different choices are good at different times.

Organization is the key to success

Organization and preparation demonstrate to students your professionalism. It shows that you are committed to assisting students in their learning experience.

What type of Instructor are you?

I know that I am a Dead Poet-Drill Sergeant instructor. I am very passionate about the lessons I teach and its impact on my students. I am also very passionate about my students ability to follow the rules. It is my job, and duty, to ensure they not only have the proper technical skills to excel in the field, but to also have the soft skills to be able to retain their job. After all, very few of my students will start their own business immediately upon graduation, therefore, they must be willing and able to follow the rules of… >>>

Be prepared no matter who you teach

I have had the privelege to teach in many areas-twenty years to this date- from kindergarten to the adults I teach now. A teacher must be prepared to deliver the content. If this isn't being done, then how is the student expected to gain the knowledge the instructor has to offer. To me teaching is a privelege, because the students have put their trust in me doing my job. they will listen to every word a teacher has to say and believe it for the most part. Thus an instructro must always be prepared to deliver.