Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A clear mind

If possible it would be a good thing if you could leave your personal troubles outside the classroom. This could interfere on how you would normally conduct your class.

Students are very good a picking up on when the instructor has something else going on. It shows in are enthusiasm and can make you fall into a dangerous trap. If we as educators do not appear to enjoy the time we are with the class than everything becomes just another task. We want the students to see our enthusiasm so they are excited about learning a new skill.

Hi James:

I agree that students are perceptive and can "sense" when an instructor is having a bad day, has other things on their mind, or is distrated for whatever reasons. Ultimately of course, the students receive less than wonderful attention from their instructor which probably contributes to somewhat less respect for that teacher.

Regards, Barry

Hi Thomas:
Sure. Our relationship with our students is based on a "contract" to provide certain services in a competent and professional manner. Letting outside factors influence our student relationship is really innappropriate in probably most cases.

Regards, Barry

I realize that if you are stressful you will pas that stress to the students and they will feel stressful as well, so it is very important that you can enjoy your class and leave everything else behind.

I empasize this aspect in my Professional Development class. We discuss how moods can travel and how they are contagious. It is much better to put on a smile, then come to class upset or mad because the students can sense this and then pass the bad mood from class to class. Ultimately, one bad mood can effect hundreds of students.

Response to Barry,
I agree that we may all have a bad fay, bur it is not the responsibility of those around us to have to put up with that. We must change our attitude and start with something new. Maybe in that way we change the course of our day. Students and fellow faculty are very receptive to the emotions of others and nothing is more distracting than dealing with someone's bad day. Get over it and things will change. We have a contractual agreement with students to provide an education and we need to set emotions aside and get to the point. Besides a change in atmosphere will probably make things better. Sharon

After being in the classroom for years woprking on my doctorate, I have found that the best teachers were ones that exibited the highest level of professionalism while still being personal. I feel that any and all drama should be left outside of the classroom.

Philip,
For me, I want to be in control of my classroom. Yes, anything less than my purposes is unacceptable.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment