Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Field Trips

I feel that field trips are important because they allow students to connect what they are learning to real world experiences. They also allow students to engage in more meaning class discussions.

I also feel that field trips are important, I have seen students go into places and at that point decide that this is not for them. I have also seen students get alot of motivation from going on field trips and this increases their interest.

Hi Michael:
You're right, that if you can pique a student's interest by having them visit a real world example or environment, that may be all it takes to get them really jazzed about their vocation.

Regards, Barry

Hi Judy:
Boy, you're right that there's nothing quite as dynamic as a peek into the real world of the vocational setting where the student will be working.

Regards, Barry

I think field trips also help with retention. It takes the students outside the classroom and provides them with a common experience. Therefore making them more confortable and cohesive inside the classroom

Hi Manuel:

You're right that getting some real world experience can help with students academic performance by providing additional insights, stimulating morale, interest, and motivation, and providing a break from the routine. Of course the closer the field trip is related to current classroom curriculum the better. But sometimes, something a little different expands the scope and vision of employment possibilites for the student.

Regards, Barry

field trips are a good way to get them to understand what you are talking about.

As a culinary instructor I am lucky enough to host our students to a local Asian market. They even get a student discount on supplies. I loved field trips as a student, and as an instructor find this particular experience to be very valuable.

Hi Francisco:
Field trips do help broaden the scope of the material you're trying to provide. You want to try and make it applicable, useable, and related closely to your topic material.

Regards, Barry

Hi James:
You are very creative and your field trip really lends itself to the specialty area you teach. Talk about involving multiple senses, it seems an Asian market could really add a lot to your course.

Regards, Barry

I fefinitaley agree that the field trips are one of the most important part of our curriculum. We take our service advisor students to automotive dealership's service departments to give them the opportunity to see everything in action. This is the most exciting part for them, not only it motivates and confirms everybody’s career choices but it also educates them hands on about balancing the needs of the dealership with the needs of the customers.

I agree field trip is important as long as it is appropriate to the student field of study.

I am very active in the field I teach today, and I always try to pass on that everyday experience to my students. Field trips have always given me that opportunity and the students get to live at least for a moment real world experience on their fields.

I agree. Field trips are so students can explore and experience how things are made, what goes on in the real world. How it will apply to them, long after the field trip, it will be a wonderful memory.

Hi Devon:
Tours and guest speakers truly are memorable experiences. Planning and timing can prove to be a challenge but the effort is quite worthwhile.

Regards, Barry

As a culinary instructor, I also find field trips useful for exposing our students to areas and neighborhoods of the city that they do not normally venture into. This exposes their world view as well as their palettes.

Hi John:
Great! Variety does rule when it comes to food choices and their preparation.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment