Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making course content interesting

Our ability to enhance the learning experience is extremely beneficial to students and instructor. Simply put changing things up every now and then, use of props, etc.

Hi Joseph:
Great thoughts! I think if we could continuously think about how our courses look and appear to our students (and we had the time and effort to give to it), we would probably enhance the quality of education many times fold. Too bad it's so easy to just rely on what's easier or what's worked in the past. Your comments suggest your willing to go the extra mile.

Regards, Barry

I agree with Joseph, making the class interesting and continously "fun" will enhance their learning experience.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU BOTH, AND BY DEFINITION A BORING CLASS LACKS IN INTEREST AND THEREFORE AN INSTRUCTOR WILL HAVE A ROUGH TIME REACHING THE STUDENTS. ALTHOUGHT I AM NOT SUGGESTING TO TURN THE CLASSROOM INTO A DANCE PARTY, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE YOUR CLASSROOM A FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT SETTING WHERE THE COURSE INFORMATION WILL BE SHARED AND RECEIVED IN A CONFORTABLE AND ENJOYABLE ENVIRONMENT.

I agree with all of you, keeping a class fun and interesting and easy to learn from requires much more than just talking and talking. For me, visuals are the key.

it is good to referance course content with the feild they are studing and i have found that adding humor to it realy helps keep the student interested and motivated

Hi Michael:
If we want to keep student engaged, we have to keep their interest. Humor, in moderate and appropriate doses, can really help set the stage for involvement, interest, and information retention. Good point!

Regards, Barry

Alway's keep the course content interresting.Student's seem to grasp and digest the course material alot better if the lesson plan is interresting and fun.

Hi William:
You've got it. Keeping it interesting may take a little extra work, but the payoff will be your students benefiting from the time you take to add variety and "spice" to yor sclass.

Regards, Barry

of course by now we all know that there are multiple ways to deliver the course material.
in addition however, my experience has shown me that the one item which is most appreciated by my students is to share "real life stories'from the field. after all, that is why the students are here in the first place, to join the field we teach them. what better way to keep them interested and motivated then to give them a glimpse or to into the real world, away from books and pps! i believe there is always an opportunity to find those few extra minutes.

Hi Hans:
Yes, using a few minutes (or more) to relate to the real world is almost always going to get students interested and motivated. This is a great teaching strategy.

Regards, Barry

Yes, I find that changing things up makes the course more interesting for the students and for the instructor, especially if you teach the course many times in a row

Hi George:
You've identified one of the hazards that instructors who teach the same subject repeatedly may fall victim too - not being sensitive to how the students are reveiving your importaant information. We've got to remember that each class is different. It takes a great sensitivity to be aware of where your students are and to what degree they are taking in your lesson.

Regards, Barry

When I find the students attention starting to drift, I will start a discussion on a current event that is in the news out of the blue. This will often get them involved and talking, then I steer this new energy back to the course material.
Sometimes students will find it humorous to shift to a totally unexpected or unrelated topic, then go right back to the lesson. You do need to be careful and be sure of you ability to redirect back to the lesson.

Hi Ryan:
Discussion is always a good way to add a bit of variety to a class session because it can be so dynamic and lead wherever the instructor directs. The down side is when not all students are willing or able to participate (shy, afraid to speak up, low self esteem, etc). But there are ways to get all involved if the discussion is really needed for the daily learning topic.

Regards, Barry

Ryan is my Colleague and a very good Instuctor. We've talked about this technique before and discovered, interestingly enough, that we both use similar methods to keep the class interesting and fun.

It's always good to keep humor in the class. It's also good to take a mental break now and again where we can discuss humor, current events, hobbies or interests etc. Not only does it revive the class, but it also alows all of us to get to know one another better, thus enhancing class comaraderie

Mike

Hi Mike:
I think it would be a fun and enjoyable experiece to be in your class if these practices are conducted on a regular basis (I assume they are. Good job.

Regards, Barry

Hi Barry,

Yup, every day.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike - Great!

Barry

Relating subject matter to real world situations can be helpful in making course content interesting. Presenting the course material in a ways that utilizes as many senses as possible will help with comprehension and retention. The challenge is to demonstrate in a meaningful way how the course material will be applied.

Sign In to comment