Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Extra Credit

I feel that "extra" credit is unfair to those who put forth the effort to do well in the class. It allows those who "slack off" in class the opportunity "catch up" with those students who did well in the first place. Besides, if someone does 100% AND does the extra credit, how can that person get more than 100%? 101%? A++? 4.01 GPA? Extra Credit = Bad Idea

Is student learning #1 ?

This section was a revelation - only since it makes it so apparent that I must determine this aspect in the interviewing of new instructors. One of my favorite interview questions is "What motivates you?" From the perspective of placing student learning at the top of the list I will now listen differently to this answer.

Quizs, Test's

Testing the students, either by choice questions or by an arrange of different types of testing.

Stregies for Instruction

Depending on how t6he students react, depends on how the info is transfered to the individuals.

Methods of Delivery

This all falls back onto the instructor to be able to recognize the abbilities of the classes.

Always be prepared

For the teachers to be prepared every day is very important. If not the students will pick up on it.

how in depth should i get when describing students to speakers

when sending an information sheet to guest speakers who in depth should i be with the personalities of the class?

Power Point Presentations

One problem I have encountered with PP while teaching in the career school setting, is when technical dificulties arise w/ equipment, lighting, etc. The students in these settings seem to have problems refocusing after these "mishaps". In general, I stick to more traditional methods based on my experience. Any suggestions?

Grading

The hardest thing is to show your students that the grading system the you have is fair and balanced.

Diferent methods for a theory class.

What other methods can be used in a theory class, aside from using a white board or projector that would spark interest in a student?

More than a sample

When working with a sample is it a good Idea to bring a big sample? Wont this distract students from the lecture?

Guest Speaker

Wouldn't it help, or give perspective, to have a guest speaker with an opposing view than what students are normally tough?

Field Trips and Liability.

I remember college classes and even grade school classes having fieldtrips. It was exciting to see what we were learning about in person. I tended to remember those trips very clearly for a long time. Considering the amount of learning and retention associated with it I would love to organize fieldtrips at this institution, however, there is the concern of liability. How can we overcome this?

prepared

I believe it is very important to be prepared for the day, because we are setting an exaple for the students to fallow.

types of evaluation

Exams should be qualitative. Try to aviod trick questions and play on words questions. This only discredits your intentions.

Improvise and adapt

I think you have to be ready to change with the class mood and style. Certain classes react different on Mondays then they do on Fridays. Be ready to change your lesson plan at a moments notice and adapt your style in order to react to the class condition.

Testing and Grading

Grading is done with the students being in charge of their own destiny while testing is the responsibility of the instructor to cover the course material in a manner the students can fully comprhend.

Learning your students

It is important to learn how your students learn in order to teach. We are all students in life.

Delvery Methods

I have the opprotunity to use several methods of delivering the information needed to succeed.

Be Prepared

To gain confidence from your students, being ready when class starts goes a long way towards having a successful session.