Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowing the subject being taught

It seems we focus more and more on media types and such so that it would seem that anyone could walk in and use a PP and teach a class using a handout. This is ok but I feel that the instructor should know the subject before trying to educate someone who does not know it. My preferred for of media is the whiteboard, why you ask because it is easier to format the presentation to the learning types in the classroom so therefore it works for me.

Hi William:
PP does have limitations and a good "white board illustrator" can do a lot with this form of media. I think when that becomes the only form of delivery, students may be not receiving all the benefits that mutiple delivery methods provide.

Regards, Barry

I use diverse forms of media to teach my course, yet, if an instructor were to come in with no knowledge of my material, they would not be an effective instructor. The media enhances my lectures, but they really cannot stand on their own.

I agree with Judith media is a good accent to help transfer the information but it must be supported by strong content and good delivery

Hi James:

Learning and delivery method are intimately related. You're right the content has to be solid, but the delivey determines how it's received. Many teachers really know their stuff but are lousy in the delivery. Good observation!

Regards, Barry

Response to Barry and all,
I agree that the instructional method only enhances the instructor's presentation. The key is that it should compliment the instructor and not replace it. I love using different media formats, such a power points, video and other visuals,which I dynamic. Sharon

In my classes, (Iteach ilolustration and graphic design) nothing is a substitute for a good old demonstration of materials and methods.

Hi Craig:
Being able to visulize something (demonstration) and getting some hands on experience (kinesthethic) are really invaluable in the learning process. As much as possible, as frequently as possible!

Regards, Barry

Knoweledge of a topic that you teach should always be a top prioity. I have to inform students of a history of components and parts that make up our product. My students have already completed similar programs so that I should not have to go through the basics of their operations. I need to show the actions and things that make this product unique. A power point might not be the best but I would like to have hands on to the different parts.

Hi James:
Imparting the knowledge you've gained from your real world experience is one important factor that makes you a good teacher. Therefore, customizing your instruction helps build soild skill sets for students.

Regards, Barry

I agree that the instructor must have a top-notch lesson plan that will be enhanced by whatever media he or she chooses. Not being prepared is setting yourself up for disaster and embarrassment. I also try to look at the lesson and imagine what questions the students may have so that I know I'm as well prepared as possible.

Hello Cindy:
You bet! Content knowledge is what the student expects from us. How that information is organized and delivered is dependent on the lesson plan, and the preparation that goes into that plan. An ill prepared lesson can also diminish the respect some students have for their trusted instructor.

Regards, Barry

I think the media type used for instruction should be fitted to the course being taught. I teach a "hands-on" course in the equine industry. My realm of students is an outdoor personality and many have never even turned a computer on. Too much "flash" makes them nervous. It is easier for them to see an illustration on a white-board or a handout than for them to see a pp presentation. At times I do utilize a slide show but most of the time, the white-board does the trick. It's all about the comfort of the students but it also has to relate to the industry field of which your teaching.

Hi Randy:
Good right-sizing of instructional media for your uniquie course topics.

Regards, Barry

We who? I teach my own class in my own way and use whatever form or forms of media that I need to relate the material to the individuals in the class. Some are auditory learners, some are visual learners, and some are more "hands on" type learners, which means I have to adapt my presentation to the learning styles of the students. Whichever tools I choose to use are my choice based upon the learning demands of the students.

Hi Thomas:
Many schools have very defined procedures and practices in place that dictate how they want their classes run. It is apparent that is not the case at your school. That's terrific. The more "tools" you have at your disposal and control you have over when and how they'll be used will give students the optimal amount of training and access to you and the knowledge you possess.

Regards, Barry

I teach in a kitchen classroom and use the white board and flipchart the most. They are fast and easy to access, giving the students instant results.....

Hi Andrea:
Great. You're reaching your students in a manner that's relatively easy, useable, and works for conveying your lesson effectively.

Regards, Barry

I certainly agree that we place a good deal of focus in media presentations, but it would seem that it's because it works! Power Point definately has its usefullness. I would never agree that anyone other than someone with a knowledge of the subject matter could just walk in and teach a class because there is a power point available. to me Power point presentations are about organizing "bullett points" the subject matter expert(you and I) fill in the blanks.
I think that it is important to realize that our students can benefit from the use of multiple types of media tools. I use the whiteboard, posters, models, samples from pharmaceutical companies, and other manufactures of goods in my field. The more exposure I can provide the better for my students. As well as, contact with these suppliers keeps me on top of things as they change, I like knowing about these things before my students come into contact with them out in the training field.

Hi Jeri:
Good suggestions all. The more variety we provide the better the student sretention and perhaps more interesting classes will be the result.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment