Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

grading system

i think consistency should be a priorty to a teacher's grading system. i treat all my students the same and all are on an even kiel. that is to say i'm consistent and let them know that everyone has the same opportunity to learn their tasks at hand and earn the marks they deserve. i don't pass or fail, they do.

Hi Gilbert:
Consistency is important. Among the worst accusations an instructor can receive is a charge of favoritism. Treating all students fairly helps assure students feel they are being treated fairly.

Regards, Barry

I find it extremely important the first day of class to explain to students, that i merely record the effort that they put forth. If they fail, they failed on their own.

Hi Steven:
Very good! Student expectations by instructors are essential. And there is no better time than on day one because it gives students an opportunity to ask questions and for the instructor to clarify choices and opportunities a student may have.

Regards, Barry

I feel that consistency is #1. With consistency you can eliminate alot of headaches and students saying you have not been fair.

Hi Michael:
Yeah, you're right. Student are very savy about routines because it is a trait related to expectations. I really believe everyone does so much better when expectations are clearly known - puts everyone on the same page.

Regards, Barry

well put i could not have said it any better.

I totally agree with you. On the first day, I always tell my students that I do not give them their grades, they earn their grades, I just record them. I spent a lot of time developing my grading system and projects so that they are fair and they are not set in stone, they are very fluid and I revisit often to revise.

I find providing rubric for granding assignments to be very helpful. It shows the students exactly what they need to do. Ambiguity is taken away and students feel more in charge of the grade that they get.

Barry, I totally agree. It is all about consistency. Be fair to all. The last thing we need is to be accused of being biased or playing favorites. I also feel that students should be made very aware of the grading system and the expectations. This prevents any confusion. Sharon

Response to Judy, I like your approach. It was like that movie with Michele Pfiefer when she told her students that they were all starting out the class with an A and all they had to do was keep it. I agree that we should be flexible and be willing to change assignments/projects to make sure they are working as well. If not, we should be willing to make the necessary changes that will work. Great post, Sharon

Yes, our grading system should be consistent and fair to every student equally. What is most important to me is to make sure that every part of the course has a percentage in the final grade, so I can make the students accountable for everything I expect them to do. I want to make sure that being late for class counts towards the final grade, I want to make sure that no participating in class will count towards the final grade, I want to make sure that missing class will count towards the final grade.

Hi Kessle;
Good points. A balanced grading system that considers all applicable components helps give the student a "comprehensive" view of their performance.

Rehards, Barry

I think being fair is the most important, and also one of the most difficult tasks for an instructor. There always seems to be a number of students who act as if they could care less if they learn anything in your class.

Hi Kenneth:
Yeah, students come in all shapes and sizes. If an instructor has learning objectives and these have been appropriately presnted, then the job of preparing a fair evaluation system is a bit easier. It is at least fair to all students (even those that don't seem to care).

Regrads, Barry

In one of my classes, my syllabus states that 70% of the final grade will be the average of 15 separate 10-minute quizzes, given randomly (unannounced) over the semester immediately at the beginning of the class before I take formal attendance. All quizzes are recovered at the 10-minute mark regardless of the time the student came in and started the quizs. It also states that a maximum of 2 separate and different quizzes may be given as a make-up for acceptable reasons for not being present for quiz(zes). This has resulted in a nearly 100% on-time attendance, since they don't know when the quiz is given, and realize that they cannot afford to miss one.

Each quiz lends itself for me to direct class participation concerning the element(s) in that quiz.

The remaining grade points are 20% for a term paper due two weeks before the Final Exam, 5% for a special project, and 5% for the final exam.

Those with an "A" or low "B" grade determined just before the Final Exam are excluded from the Final. For high "B" and all "C" the Final is optional, their choice to see if they can raise their grade with a 5% exam weight. If they do take the final, its score is now included in the overall grade, so there is a possible negative effect which is influential. For all "D" and "F" grades, the Final Exam is mandatory.

By having heavily weighted quiz scores, given immediately upon class convening, I find my student study more, do their optional homework, and get better grades, because they are much more prepared for each class. I have exceptionally few "F"s and very few "D"s. The majority of my class get "B"s.

Hi James:
No matter what grading system we use, it is important the students have the opportunity to understand the rubric or expectations as soon as possible.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment