Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What type of Instructor are you?

I know that I am a Dead Poet-Drill Sergeant instructor. I am very passionate about the lessons I teach and its impact on my students. I am also very passionate about my students ability to follow the rules. It is my job, and duty, to ensure they not only have the proper technical skills to excel in the field, but to also have the soft skills to be able to retain their job. After all, very few of my students will start their own business immediately upon graduation, therefore, they must be willing and able to follow the rules of the business that employs them.

Whay type of instructor are you?

Hi Michael:
You've listed some very fine traits that I'm sure contribute to your student's success.

To define the kind of teacher traits one possesses could take more space and in an environment other than this forum. But I'll say that any good teacher that puts their student first with their learning the number one priority is going to be successful.

Regards, Barry

It's funny ready this here after our talk yesterday.
I feel that I am a Socratic Drill Instructor with Zen like tendencies.
I am trying different styles and approaches to suite the class dynamic at any given time. Thank you for your input and help.

I am the Drill Sergeant; however I soften my approach with humor and sarcasm. Many times I like to have students catch me making a mistake, or see if they are awake enough to catch me. It helps instill confidence and the sense that we are all vulnerable but can be successful no matter what our approach. If I can get students to lighten up even though I am rigid, then I feel that I have taught them something about life, and not to sweat the small stuff because it is all small stuff. We learn, we live, we move on.

I feel that I'm a mix-type in most cases. This is a result because each class is different and must be taught in different ways. I will admit that I usually follow the Socratic Instructor style overall in my classes, though I will include the Zen-style and the Dead Poets Society where and when needed as certain days will include topics that I am so enthused or excited by that I feel I rub off on my students as they get just as excited.

After reading this i found that am a little off all,i have a passion for what i,m doing and some what of a dill-sergeant, but i think being a little of all is not that bad.

I think the point of this was to expand into including all of the positive attributes of each type into teaching. I try to be Zen and Drill Instructor at the same time, offering my students every possible opportunity to learn. There are times I am each of these personality types, even the statue, which is best when teaching students how to be a better note taker.

In conclusion my contention is that the best thing to do with this list is to see when and where you can be each one of these types and in doing so becone a better instructor.

I tend to be a Dead Poet with Zen-like tendencies. I try to be passionate about the subject matter I teach because it becomes infectious. That passion is not limited to the subject matter but also to my students' successes with the course.

I make big deals out of small advances in the class because it gives those weaker or shyer students the message that getting involved and showing what they have or have not learned can bring positive rewards to them. This then generates an energy with others trying to get positive regard from me in their attempts. I will also always try to find something to point out as positive even if the overall answer to point f view was incorrect. This makes it so any involvement will be met with a positive note even if some negativity will follow.

The Zen tendency comes from always looking for ways that students can realize instead of just memorize. Memorization becomes boring and is soon forgotten. Realization give the "ah-ha" factor spoken about in the text and is, in my opinion, the best way of having students hang on to useful knowledge.

I feel that I like most instructors am a combination of teaching styles.I have a primary/secondary style of drill sergeant/dead poet but,I can easily switch styles to fill the needs of my students when circumstances dictate.It's these constant style changes which offer me the opportunities to grow and develop my skills and prevent me from becoming complacent in my teaching.

Hi Dennis:
Your adaptibility to "change-up" as the need demands is truly a great skill - as not everyone handles change so easily.

It's good to have a basic understanding of your teaching traits and attributes - to to use and to be open to improvement.

Regards, Barry

I AM THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR.
They don't call it Honda Boot Camp for nothing!
I am very passionate about the lessons I teach and how it comes across to my students. I am also very passionate about my students ability to follow the rules. It too is my job to ensure that they all have the proper technical skills and proper mind set to into the field.

Hi Charles:
Order and displine can be a very effective instructional adjunct. Obviously, you have taken on this role quite successfully.

Regards, Barry

I am a Dead Poet-Drill Sergeant instructor as well. I am very passionate about the courses I lecture, as well as the students following the rules and regulations of the school. Some of the students are fine with following rules, since I place a large amount of emphasize on professionalism in the workplace.

Hi Elizabeth:
Passion is an activator that motivates almost more than anything else. Thankd for sharing.

Regards, Barry

I think I am a mix of Dead Poets with Socratic. I love getting students to become excited about their future but want to give foster in them the critical thinking skills they will need for success.

I think I am a little bit of all types, depending upon which module in the syllabus I am at that time, and upon the different style I need to use at that time. I teach commercial deep sea diving (oriented mostly towards the offshore oil patch). When it involves safety, I become more of a 'Sergeant Major' type drill sergeant, but where there are 'more than one right way' of doing a task in a practical scenario, I become Socratic and lead them to finding one good way. Or I may break them into teams and have them compete doing the same task, then reward the higher grade to the team with the more efficient, but safe, method.

Hi James:
Most teachers are situational types - we have to be because of the many hats we wear. Know something about ourselves is helpful if we can use it to benefit better student relations and their learning.

Regards, Barry

I want to relay the importance of "taking care of the customer" to my students. If and when they come back,do they ask for "you". Paying attention to the small details are what separate pro techs from shade tree mechanics. showing the student what will happen if the customer doesn't return can mean for future financial gains.

Jesse,
Good. Conyeying the importance of good customer service are traits related to larger categories of integrity, courtesy and professionalism. Many of todays students come to our courses lacking what some might think all students would possess. Nonetheless, all students can always benefit from training (or reminders) about being good workers, trustworthy and the value of good workmanship.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment