Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Power Point

This form of lecture is effective providing,the Instructor is very enthusiastic,and provides real world situations ....

Mind Set

I find is that most Instructors that I work with have most if not all of the Traits mentioned in "All Shapes and Sizes" which brings about a well rounded Instructor, but what I see with each new class I recieve is that we need to focus more on the connection betwen you, your students, and the field instead of just class content and move the students beyond there grade to this is "My Career" so the student can and will be better adjusted in their knowledge and skills for there new careers.

preparing classroom

If you look hurried,and disorganized entering a classroom,it does'nt give the students a good first impression of yourself.

Time Crunch

Every class does move at a different pace, therefore, instructors must have additional material available.

Guest Speakers

Guest speskers are a great benefit if the subject matter is interesting and the length of the presentation is agreed on by the instructor.

Testing who?

I have found that testing the students is not only necessary to understand what they have learned but during my early days I noticed that if I missed or didn't cover a segment properly, the majority of the class would miss answer that particular question. Now when I teach a new class subject I pay close attention to any answers that are missed by the students. This lets me know I need to reevaluate my presentation.

Keeping it interesting

I have been trying to brak up the instruction into small sections making sure to provide practice time for the students, thus reinforceing the verbal, and demonstration instruction. How ever my time is very limited so this becomes interesting at times!I have a bit of a delema, to much instruction and not enough time! Can anyone tell me how to slow down time?

Testing

Testing; there has to be a base line of evaluation. Without evaluation we may not determine if the student has the understanding of the material needed to move forth. Although some times the testing might need to be more of hands on test verse a written test because of learning styles. Learning style and testing style do carry hand in hand.

Pretesting

By pretesting, the student and instructor can find a base line of knowledge and a starting point for learning. This will also tell the strengths and weaknesses for improvement.

Selecting media for your classes

When selecting media for class, one must remember that the learning style of each student differs. i.e. When using power points, make sure that the student can inter act with the presentation presented. By doing this the student will not loose interest on the subject at hand that is being taught.

Classroom prep

When preparing for a class one must not only have hand outs or training aids ready but also be ready for different learning styles. Relating to the students helps keeps the student interest by creating a bond of common ground to build trust for the student.

testing

as a new (instruter/teacher) i'm finding it very difficult creating quizzes and test for my students. i'm teaching film making. cinematography/lighting. the problem is i have students who forge ahead on their computors and digital cameras without learning the fundamentals of basic filming and lighting. they will fail quizzes but produce some great short videos. i need all the input i can get. i've been making award winning films for 50 years. bill

Extra Percentage for Attendance

My school has approved a new attendance policy and there is part of it that I don't agree to. We are required to add 2 percentage points to a student's final overall grade if they didn't miss a single class and 1 percentage point if they only missed 1 class all term. Any opinions?

Power point Presentation

PowerPoint Presentation are very time Comsuming to create and to show clearly good projector are needed and if sound is used requises agood sound system.

Instructorscome in allhapes and sizes

Many times the instructor must be a diffferent size and size to meet the changing situation in the class room and the student make up.

POWER POINT

USE POWER POINT EVERY CHANCE YOU CAN,IT IS STATE OF THE ART TEACHING.

TIME

COME IN EARLY,HAVE YOUR ACT TOGATHER,START CLASS ON TIME.

knowing your powerpoints

it is very important that you know the material. If you just read the powerpoint and not add to or further explain the slide your students will not be impressed.

Knowing your population

Knowing your class make up allows you to be sensitive to issues that may effect one more than it would another group. What are your feeling on this issue.

Power point instruction

Hi I would like to talk about the use of power point in the class room. In my school it is required in my course to use about 70% of our first days in power point presentation. This encompases about 1/4 of the time available for the class. The way the class syllabus is configured I have little to no choice but to follow the pre planned time line. Outside of disregarding my supervisors can any one suggest an alternate method?