Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pre-testing

During the first class, students are pre-tested. This gives me, the instructor, an indication of who can successfully complete this class and who will need extra help in completing this class.

Hi Doreen:
Yes, pre-testing is a terrific way to get a handle on where your students are currently performing in order to plan for their continuing progress. I think it also helps reinforce to the students that they can see for themselves where their weaker areas of study are needed.

Another benefit is that students learn to trust the instructor more because they feel their interests are the purpose of the testing. Good idea!

Regards, Barry

Pre tesrting is great but I also post test the students at the end of the class.This gives me a way to know if the students have learned what was taught in the class

i do the same thing its helps us all in the end

I think pretesting is a great idea. It will give you as an instructor a base to work from. You may need to go more into certain areas than others.

Hi Michael:
Good point. Also, students get a feel for what a test might look like, the format, level of difficulty, and structure. I've always found the more information a student knows about testing practices helps reduce unnecessary anxiety.

Regards, Barry

Hi Ray:
You've got a point that end of class assessments can help guide an instructor bot by determining what the students have learned and retained, and also where the instructor may need to revise or modify their material in some manner.

Regards, Barry

I also do pre and post testing, but post testing allows me to see how effective my delivery style was.

Lawrence:
I think both pre and post testing have great benefits when used as tools to reinforce student learning. But I know many do not do too much post testing analysis for whatever their reasons.

Regards, Barry

Pre testing also gives you an idea of what the knowledge base of the class is. You can tell if your class will have to be focused on one specific technique or another by looking at their answers

Hi David:

Yes, and also, style, format, depth, and content can be evaluated by the students to eliminate surprises or unneeded anxiety.

Regards, Barry

I agree pre-testing is a great idea. Something I’ve have suggested we use on the front end prior to enrollment. All to often we find out that many students don’t have the basic skills to be successful and as a result we tend to lose several students several months later.
A pre-test would help give them a feel prior to enrollment if they have the basic reading and writing skills necessary. If they don’t they have to the opportunity to better prepare before spending lots of time and money.

Perhaps it should be done more often. Larry is right in that you gain knowledge of what your students picked up during your class but if you begin to see a pattern, that certain parts of your course content is not "sticking" you should rethink the way you are engaging it.

The post test is not the only method for doing this. I feel that be reviewing student outcomes in with all evaluative tools (tests, quizzes, practical exercises) we can learn how to better teach our subject matter.

It may sound great to us on paper at home, but if it doesn't resonate with students, we'll see it in the way of poor results on evaluations.

Pre-test allows the instructor to assess/evaluate the students skills for the course.

I think this is a great help for the instructor and the student.

HI PROFESSOR, I AGREE, THE USE OF PRE TEST AT THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE COURSE ALLOWS THE INSTRUCTORS TO IN MANY WAYS CUSTOMIZED THE THE DELIVERY OF THE COURSE CONTENT AND MAKE ASSESMENTS DURING THE COURSE TO ENSSURE THAT THE MATERIAL COVERED IS REACHING THE STUDENTS AND THE RESULTS OF THE POST TEST WILL GIVE THE INSTRUCTOR A CLEARER PICTURE THE COURSE SUCCESS.

YES PRE-TESTING IS A GREAT IDEA TO SEE WHERE A STUDENTS LEARNING LEVEL IS.

Response to Barry and Doreen, I like the idea of pretesting. It would definitely help me to know what basic skills students are bringing to the class or the lack of as well. I also like this idea because in the pretest questions about the course content, previous knowledge in that area and what they want form the class can also provide a road for the instructor to travel. I believe students would appreciate this as a way of being acknowledged as an individual with individual needs. Very informative. Sharon

At the beginning of every three week session students are given a pretest just to see if they know about the course. At the end of the three week session they are given a post test with the same questions. This will enable me to see if they understand the course content and the teaching techiques.

I think this is so important and will stress this where I work. Its difficult taking very skilled students and some with no experience at all and tailor the lessons to fit both. This is the job of the placement staff. I think we need to know as much info about our classes before we start.

Sign In to comment