Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Level of competency and experience

When we run into the situation where the class in general does not have the desired schooling or practical app what to do. Is it good to lower the class to their level thus leaving out the ones who are already there. NO Is it good to leave the level where you are so that the ones who are grasping it do not get bored. MAYBE What about this find a way to do both one way could be to have the ones who grasp the knowledge become kind of student helpers. Use their experience and knowledge to your benefit it works I do it often.. The other advantage to this is maybe it is not the information that is above their head but the instructors way of presenting it. I have been put to sleep many times by people that are lecturing and have the approach that this is the only way to learn this. To end my little rant say you are teaching electris on a car. Remember this we are there to teach them how to fix the problems not make them engineers that part was already done. HE HE

Hi William:

You're right that often, a teacher will have a class with multiple levels of intelligence or technical ability. Sometimes those extremes are great.

One techniques some instructors use is activities that cater to the mutiple groups. In doing so, they provide the basic lesson but the format and delievery for one group may xyz project while another group is practicing abc procedure, etc. Then, all the groups come together for a summary. I've seen it work quite well.

Regards, Barry

I have found if you have an advanced student able to work a student that is struggling they both will grasp the subject and grow.

Hi Tom:
Great! I am a great supporter of the "peer tutorial" action to help struggling students. I have found that students do not feel threatened to ask questions or reveal their weaknesses to a fellow student (as willingly as to their instructor).

With that barrier removed often times a very good student can contribute significantly to the lesser students comprehension. This technique also has benefits to the "mentor" student in recognition, satisfaction, and sometimes even assisting their own learning somewhat.

Regards, Barry

I have also used the student mentor as a tool in 'raising the bar'. One of the biggest issues I have, however, is that students seem to be lacking simple spelling and grammar skills. This deficiency seems to reach out from high school and even - elementary school. Fortunately, the university I teach for has learning labs or tutoring available for students, if they seek the help. Which leads to yet another problem - sometimes they don't want to get outside help or do 'extra work'.

Hi Susan:
These situations are real, and I don't think this forum can solve them completely. I can say that, sometimes, stronger students can help weaker students, even if their spelling and grammar is atrocious. Unless it's an English course, perhaps, the concept is the most important consideration (not the mechanics of writing).

Regards, Barry

Yes, I have this same problem. Recently I am finding less and less students who are at the level they should be and I have no real student mentors in the class. ESL has been a problem as well. Since our career colleges tend to be accelerated to begin with they have a very hard time trying to learn the language and the course material as well. Some are resentful that they must be so proficient in English. Then after putting in so much energy in helping them they don't make it. Any suggestions?

Hi Helen,
Students who are ESL definitely pose an extra challenge. One idea that may bring ESL students more success would be to have a group of ESL students form class tutoring sessions together. This approach embraces the idea that “many heads together are better than one”.

Regards,
Barry

I have a huge gap, either the students complete the assigned lessons in a 1 to 2 days, and some, the week we work on the lesson isn't long enough. I think the student helpers is a good idea. I just don't know how to brige the gap between my students who are peak performers and my students who can't open a file to retireve their assignment. It's so frustrating!

Sign In to comment