Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

media choices

media choices are important so the student has the opportunity learn at their speed. if i choose to use the overhead projector the student sees the material and hears as well. different choices are good at different times.

Hi Gilbert:
You're quite correct that using media that matches the student learning level will assist in the instructional process. Most students are visual learners to some degree, more so with some than others. The more involved you can get your students the more likely they will rememeber the information.

Regards, Barry

My current school favors the PowerPoint way too much. In my opinion PP should only be used for a tracking, timing, and visuals. Don't get me wrong, I love PP, particularly for tracking. My students are convinced I have A.D.H.D. I will look at a slide and gauge my time for a related story. Our school puts all the info on the screen.

Hi John:
I think you have a point that sometimes any media format can be overdone. For instance, I've attended 3-4 day conferences with back-to-back presentations all done in PPT - boy, you can get worn out after a while! I imagine the same effect could be true for students who are subjected to the week-after-week barrage of PPT bullet-point chunks of information.

It's good if you can utilize multiple media sources and interweave the PPT to give a more balanced approach.

Regards, Barry

my school mostly on powerpoint. we have one class that also uses videos. my class presention is on pp. i use one or two videos. i rely mostly on hands on demos with class participation. the students enjoy the participation and cannot use the excuse "i learn best when i get my hands on it", when other forms of media are used. with the hands on method you can see and correct mistakes imediately.

Hi Larry:
Class demonstrations work great, especially for visual learmers. But getting students personnaly involved will utilize multiple senses and lead to better retention of the material. So it sounds like you've found a good balance for your specific classes at your school. Great!

Regards, Barry

I agree with you. I use PowerPoints all the time, however, I utilize point form - just a hint to me as I move the lecture along. I add pictures to my slides to make them more interesting and visual.

I have found that too much relience on ppt can dull the learning process. A more effective approach would be to " mix it up" with other media. By shifting the media used students won't be lulled to sleep and there are times when it can be more productive, given the subject, to use all types of media at your disposal.

Hi Larry,

Like you, I prefer class demonstrations. I teach drawing and rendering, so demonstrations work best. If a student is having a hard time learning the tools and technique, I will demo one-on-one with them. After I finish, I will then watch as they repeat the process.

I also like to bring in good student samples for them to look over. They really seem to learn a lot from the samples, plus it shows them what is expected.

My biggest problem with using PowerPoint is the paralysis that tends to come with its overuse and over-abuse. I know that several fellow instructors just read the slides and elaborate only a little. I've tried to go a full course without using it except for showing complex diagrams.

Hi James::
I agree that continuous or heavy reliance on PPT can be arduous on all - faculty and students alike. You do mention a perfect application (PPT), that of complex diagrams. What better way to enlarge and illuminate minute detail along with expert discussion. Many textbook publishers now supply faculty with some of their professionally-developed PPT's. Many of those are good to supplement an instructor's lecture.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment