Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

power point

I beleve that the powerpoint is a great tool for instruction but I do not believe that someone who has no knowlage of the subject can come in to a classroom and be able to instruct the class from a pp because you need to be able to magnify the pp and understand what is being said!

Hi Steve:

Absoutely. We have to think of PPT as a tool. And just because a tool is available does not automatically give the user any special talent or ability in using it.

Regards, Barry

ANother concern I have is that I've seen instructors become lazy by using PowerPoints.

Many of the texts we use come with prepackaged presentation for use by an instrctor. I've sometimes found instructors simply flashing throught the panels, one by one, and simply reading them outload to the class. This will put them to sleep in no time.

These are wonderful tools but they cannot be used as the only aspect of the delivery system for a course. They should be just one component to a much more complex system.

I totally agree with everyone. The PP should be concise, easy to read and remember and to the point. The presenter of the material should also be knowledgable with the material prior to presenting the PP, otherwise they look foolish by just reading them out loud without elaborating on the bullet points.

You have to prepare the class and use the powerpoint as a guide for the subject.

I think you need to know how to use it, it is more as a guide and a way to show a visual idea but not to read from.

I completely agree! PPT should ONLY be used as a guide!

I think power points are very usefull in teaching. You must fully understand the material contained in the power point and be able to answer any question about the material. Stumbling through a presentation may leave your students confused and wondering about your knowledge and preperation for the class.

Hi Bruce:
Yes, familiarity with the subject matter is paramount. As a tool, PPT's can add a dimension to the learning process very uniquely. Caution needs to be exercised that the content layout and sequencing are all appropropriate to the audience and subject matter. As helpful as PPT is, too much of it in a single setting can be overwhelming for some students. I think good instructors try to be sensitive to their students tolerence and level of interest.

Regards, Barry

True enough. What happens if the power point is non-functional? We need to prepare for this as a possability.

Hi George:
Good point. We need to be prepared for if and/or when the PPT isn't available or broken. We discuss that a bit in back-up plans. But we should have the lesson material available in multiple components, not just PPT.

Regards, Barry

of course if the person doesn't know the course or the subject..no way to do the lecture from PPs.

Trina,
Right.I think a good PPT slide provides key bullet points that allow the instructor to build on these through discussion, illustrations, and examples. Trying to put all needed information into a slide is not the best use of PPT, in my opinion.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment